Magnetic field from a thin current-carrying cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnetic field outside a thin hollow cylinder with a steady current on its surface. The person's solution contradicts Ampere's Law and they are asked if they understand how Ampere's Law is used to derive the magnetic field for an infinite DC current carrying wire.
sombr1o
The question is to find the magnetic field immediately outside a thin hollow cylinder that carries a uniform steady current I on its surface. This is my solution but what I get contradicts amperes law.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 271
Physics news on Phys.org
Your own derivation aside, do you understand how Ampere's Law is used to derive the magnetic field for an infinite DC current carrying wire?

Likes sombr1o
Born2bwire said:
Your own derivation aside, do you understand how Ampere's Law is used to derive the magnetic field for an infinite DC current carrying wire?
Yes, but the thing is that you should get the same thing with Amperes Law and my own derivation

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is measured in units of Tesla (T).

2. How is a magnetic field created by a current-carrying cylinder?

A current-carrying cylinder has moving electric charges, which create a magnetic field around the cylinder. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the magnitude of the current and the distance from the cylinder.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying cylinder?

The direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying cylinder can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field change as you move away from the current-carrying cylinder?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as you move away from the current-carrying cylinder. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases by the square of the distance from the source.

5. How can the magnetic field from a thin current-carrying cylinder be calculated?

The magnetic field from a thin current-carrying cylinder can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the cylinder.