Magnetic flux and inductance?

In summary, when a current flows through a straight wire, it generates a certain amount of magnetic flux. When an iron tube is placed around the wire without changing the current, the inductance increases because the flux density close to the wire increases. This is due to the higher magnetic permeability of iron. The total flux remains the same, but more of it is concentrated in the iron instead of being dispersed in the air. The H field remains unchanged in the air outside the tube.
Thomas_h_h_
If a current flows in a straight wire, a certain amount of magnetic flux will be generated around it.

Now suppose I put an iron tube around the wire (but don't change the current). I know the inductance will increase, but is that because more total flux is now being generated, or is the total flux still the same but more of it is now concentrated in the iron, close to the wire, instead of floating around far away in the air as previously?
huh.gif

Putting it another way, I know the flux density close to the wire will increase, but it that because more actual flux is generated or is it because some of the flux in the air has been 'sucked up' into the iron instead (so the flux density in the air has been reduced -a trade from one place to the other)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field is concentrated in the iron because of the higher magnetic permeability of iron.

Yes but that doesn't answer my question though

Likes NascentOxygen
From Ampere's law around the wire,
∫H.dl=I, where I is the current in the wire.
Since you used a circular iron tube, H will be constant on its circumference and ∫dl=2πr.
So,
H=I/2πr.
But flux density B=μH.
So, in the iron tube, the flux density will be more than it would be without the iron tube, which means more actual flux is produced.

So the H field remains unchanged in the air outside the tube?

Thomas_h_h_ said:
So the H field remains unchanged in the air outside the tube?
Yes.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux related to inductance?

Magnetic flux is directly proportional to inductance. This means that as the amount of magnetic flux passing through a coil increases, the inductance of the coil also increases.

3. What factors affect the amount of magnetic flux in a system?

The amount of magnetic flux in a system is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the surface the field passes through, and the angle at which the field passes through the surface.

4. What is inductance and how is it measured?

Inductance is the property of a circuit element that opposes changes in current. It is measured in units of henrys (H). Inductance can be measured using an inductance meter or by calculating the voltage induced in a coil when a known current is passed through it.

5. How does magnetic flux and inductance relate to electromagnetic induction?

Magnetic flux and inductance play a crucial role in electromagnetic induction. When there is a change in magnetic flux in a closed circuit, an electromotive force (EMF) is induced, causing a current to flow. This phenomenon is the basis for many electrical devices, including generators and motors.