Magnetic Force between two solenoids

In summary: By combining these two equations, it can be seen that the force is proportional to the relative permeability of the cores squared and to the permeability of the medium between the solenoids. However, this calculation does not take into account the effects of saturation of the core material. By inserting materials with high relative permeability, such as pure iron or mu-metal, the force between the solenoids can be increased significantly. However, in practice, the force cannot be increased to the level of tens of millions of times higher as
Xynon
Consider two thin and long, single layered identical solenoids with same DC in them, positioned coaxially. I'm trying to calculate the magnetic force on each solenoid, when there are identical magnetic cores inside them.

As seen in below, I have the general approximation to the force between two coaxial magnetic dipoles which are much smaller than the distance between them. And I have the calculation of the total magnetic dipole moment of a thin, long coil with a magnetic core.

By combining them, I found that the force is proportional to the relative permeability of the cores squared and to the permeability of the medium between the solenoids.

This seemed to be somewhat wrong to me because by inserting materials like pure iron or mu-metal, we could increase the force to tens of millions times higher than it was with air cores. I don't think it's possible in practice.

Is there something I'm missing or misunderstanding?

Thanks for your time.
Adsız8.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
F = μ_0m_1m_2/4πr^3 (1)m = n*I*A_eff (2)whereF is the force between the two solenoidsμ_0 is the permeability of free spacem_1 and m_2 are the magnetic dipole moments of the two solenoidsn is the number of turns in the solenoidI is the current through the solenoidA_eff is the effective area of the core, i.e. the cross-sectional area of the core multiplied by the relative permeability of the core material.

1. How does the distance between two solenoids affect the magnetic force between them?

The magnetic force between two solenoids is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

2. What factors determine the strength of the magnetic force between two solenoids?

The strength of the magnetic force between two solenoids is determined by the number of turns, current, and magnetic permeability of the solenoids. The more turns and current, and the higher the magnetic permeability, the stronger the force will be.

3. Can the direction of the magnetic force between two solenoids be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic force between two solenoids can be changed by reversing the direction of the current in one of the solenoids. This will result in the force being attractive rather than repulsive, or vice versa.

4. How is the magnetic force between two solenoids affected by the orientation of their axes?

The magnetic force between two solenoids is strongest when their axes are parallel to each other. If the axes are at an angle, the force will be reduced. When the axes are perpendicular, there will be little to no force between the solenoids.

5. Can the magnetic force between two solenoids be turned off?

Yes, the magnetic force between two solenoids can be turned off by turning off the current flowing through them. The force is only present when there is a current running through the solenoids.