Magnetic levitated electric wire

In summary, the conversation is about creating an instrument to demonstrate the force on a wire carrying electric current in a lab. The equations for this are given, and the goal is to have the wire suspended in equilibrium above the ground. The speaker suggests using an AC current and mentions the possibility of using Helmholtz coils to create a uniform magnetic field. They also ask for any easier ways to do this and for notes to keep in mind during the experiment.
AHashemi
Hi
I'm thinking about making an instrument to show the force on a wire carrying electric current for students in lab. A normal wire which levitates from ground after it has current flowing in it.

We have the following equations

F = ILBsin(a)
W = ALg

'A' being the mass of unit length of the wire. We will make the magnetic field perpendicular to the current flow so a=Pi/2 and sin(a)=1 and I want the wire to be suspended above the ground so in equilibrium we must have:

F = W
ILB = ALg
IB = Ag

Since g and A are constant in this device what I will need to do is playing with magnetic field and electric current.
I'm not very familiar with the Earnshaw theorem but I know if I use an AC current this is doable. I can use normal power outlets (220 V in this case) but I don't know how to create the uniform magnetic field needed. Are natural magnets (Like Neodymium magnets) better or a magnetic field generated by another wire or coil?
Is there any easier way to do this?
What are notes to keep in mind in this experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is magnetic levitated electric wire?

Magnetic levitated electric wire, also known as maglev wire, is a type of wire that uses magnetic forces to suspend and move electrically charged objects without the need for physical contact.

2. What is the purpose of magnetic levitated electric wire?

The primary purpose of magnetic levitated electric wire is for transportation, specifically for high-speed trains. It can also be used in other applications such as conveyor systems and magnetic bearings.

3. How does magnetic levitated electric wire work?

Magnetic levitated electric wire works by using superconducting magnets to create a magnetic field that repels the wire, causing it to levitate. The wire is then propelled forward by alternating the polarity of the magnetic field.

4. What are the advantages of using magnetic levitated electric wire?

Some advantages of magnetic levitated electric wire include lower friction and energy consumption, reduced noise pollution, and higher speeds compared to traditional rail systems. It also has a lower environmental impact due to its lack of physical contact.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using magnetic levitated electric wire?

One major drawback of magnetic levitated electric wire is the high cost of construction and maintenance. It also requires a significant amount of energy to maintain the magnetic field, making it less efficient for shorter distances. Additionally, the technology is still relatively new and may face challenges with integration and acceptance in existing transportation systems.