Magnetic Levitation : Confusion with Lenz's Law

In summary, the discussion is about the behavior of an aluminium ring in an alternating current and magnetic field setup. The participant is struggling to understand why the ring floats upwards instead of oscillating. They mention Faraday's law and Lenz's law, and their understanding of the flux through the iron core as a sine wave. The conversation also touches on the concept of self-inductance and the use of start-coils and capacitors in asynchronous motors. Overall, the conversation seeks to understand the forces at play in the system and how they affect the movement of the aluminium ring.
msharma97
9MECQ.png

Considering the above diagram, I am failing to see why the aluminium ring floats upwards rather than oscillates. I understand Faraday's law, but I am struggling with Lenz's law - as there is an alternating current, an alternating magnetic field is produced, similar to a sine wave. Therefore, I assumed that the flux through the iron core can also be modeled as a sine wave, with the flux increasing and decreasing with the magnetic field.

As the flux increases through the ring, I understand that a current will be induced which opposes the increase in flux, i.e. a current which would produce a force upwards. However, in the case where the flux is decreasing i.e. from 90 to 180 degrees on a sine wave, it is my understanding that the ring will want to "increase" its flux, opposing this change and this would be a force downwards, rather than upwards so hence producing an oscillation.

However, I am given that "When the alternating current supply to the coil is switched on, the aluminium ring moves up the rod until it reaches a stable position ‘floating’ above the coil".

Can anybody shed any light on the situation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The ac-supply is a 1-phase connection, that is inducing a sine-waved magnetic field in the iron rod. This field has no direction ( like a pendulum swinging back and forth, but is getting nowhere.

When you are switching on the power, I assume that the ring is placed upon the coil, so the ring cannot accelerate downwards. So when the ring is oscillating in field, the only direction it can take is upward. Having this initial speed-direction upward, the frequency of the current induced in the ring will fall if the ring continues accelerating upward. Contrary if the ring turns downward the frequency of the induced current will rise. Due to the self-inductance in the ring, the impedance of the ring will be proportional to the frequency, so the current induced by moving upward (not turning) will be greater than the current induced when turning downwards. Actually both currents are induced, but the "upward-current" will win the fight as it has the lowest frequency

If you have an asynchronous motor driven by a 1-phase system, it does not know which rotational direction to choose, when power is switched on.Therefore such a motor is made with an extra start-coil with a start-capacitor attacked in series. The current in the start-coil will be phase-shifted due to the capacitor, thereby making a rotational magnetic field in the motor. When the motor has accelerated to some speed, you can disconnect the starting coil, and the motor will continue in the same rotational direction.

Last edited:

1. What is magnetic levitation?

Magnetic levitation is a method of suspending an object in the air using the repulsive or attractive forces of magnets.

2. How does magnetic levitation work?

Magnetic levitation works by using the repulsive or attractive forces of magnets to counteract the force of gravity on an object, allowing it to float in the air.

3. What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a law of electromagnetic induction that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will be such that it opposes the change that caused it.

4. How does Lenz's Law relate to magnetic levitation?

Lenz's Law is important in understanding and controlling magnetic levitation because it explains how the magnetic field of a levitating object interacts with the magnetic field of the magnets below it, creating a stable levitation effect.

5. Are there any practical applications for magnetic levitation?

Yes, magnetic levitation has many practical applications, including high-speed trains, maglev transportation systems, and magnetic bearings for industrial machinery. It is also used in experiments and demonstrations to study magnetic fields and their interactions.