Magnetic mirror: pentagon or hexagon toroid?

In summary, the idea of connecting mirrors end-to-end to create a pentagon or hexagon magnetic mirror is impractical because the ends would have to have the same polarity of magnets, which is not possible.
artis
I know that the problem of magnetic mirrors is that they leak out the tight ends of the mirror, on the other hand the main problem of toroids is that magnetic field line curvature creates a better confinement on the inner diameter and lesser on the outer diameter so needs a strong plasma current to keep the plasma confined.

Has anyone ever attempted to create a magnetic mirror where the mirrors are joined end to end and bent slightly in the mirror "bottleneck" part so that after 5 or 6 of such mirrors the circle is closed and all the mirrors are ends to end forming a pentagon or hexagon or any other higher number profile?

In such a device in theory the part where the plasma path is bent is very short and most of the path is straight.

Likes dRic2
Engineering news on Phys.org
artis said:
I know that the problem of magnetic mirrors is that they leak out the tight ends of the mirror, on the other hand the main problem of toroids is that magnetic field line curvature creates a better confinement on the inner diameter and lesser on the outer diameter so needs a strong plasma current to keep the plasma confined.

Has anyone ever attempted to create a magnetic mirror where the mirrors are joined end to end and bent slightly in the mirror "bottleneck" part so that after 5 or 6 of such mirrors the circle is closed and all the mirrors are ends to end forming a pentagon or hexagon or any other higher number profile?

In such a device in theory the part where the plasma path is bent is very short and most of the path is straight.
You cannot connect an odd number of identical plasma mirrors in closed loop without creating zero-field seam. Therefore, "pentagon" configuration is inferior to "hexagon".

• Informative
Likes artis and berkeman
@trurle although I just sketched 5 mirrors in a pentagon on a piece of paper and I fail to see why there should be a problem? I mean the ends or the "bootlenekcs" have coils with current going in the same direction and they are connected end to end so N-S-N-S,

artis said:
@trurle although I just sketched 5 mirrors in a pentagon on a piece of paper and I fail to see why there should be a problem? I mean the ends or the "bootlenekcs" have coils with current going in the same direction and they are connected end to end so N-S-N-S,
I believe he was making the point that odd and even numbers of mirrors in the path result in different plasma instabilities that you have to deal with.

Are you familiar with technical treatments of plasma physics like Chen's book?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319223089/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1593621350168.png

I just got one by Jeffrey Freidberg, called plasma physics for fusion energy, hope it's good enough

Likes berkeman
artis said:
I just got one by Jeffrey Freidberg, called plasma physics for fusion energy, hope it's good enough

He taught one of the plasma physics courses I took at MIT. He was a good teacher, so I expect his book should be pretty good.

• Wow
Likes etotheipi, artis and berkeman
Ok, here is what interests me. One of the biggest problems with a torus like that of a tokamak is the need for large plasma currents and additional coils because the constant bend that the torus represents makes the plasma have a weaker confinement on it's outer diameter vs it;'s inner one.
Have there ever been any attempts to say create anything similar to what I am talking about here, where straight plasma mirrors are arranged in a circle?

With many such mirrors arranged, the bend angle between each two mirrors would get smaller, so most of the "torus" is not straight except for the band parts, but they are also the ones where the B field is the strongest due to there being magnets, so the plasma "takes a turn" but for a short distance.

From what I know the single biggest issue with magnetic mirror is the end loss, so I wonder how would it compare to other magnetic concepts if arranged in such geometry.
ps. @trurle I am not sure I fully understood your argument about the "zero field seam" because each mirror has two end magnets whose polarities are N-S, how can the field be disturbed because no mater how many coils you put in a toroid fashion as long as each one is the same polarity they all add up don't they?
What would be the different between say (N-S: N-S: N-S) vs (N-S: N-S: N-S: N-S) for example?

1. What is a magnetic mirror?

A magnetic mirror is a type of magnetic confinement system used in fusion reactors. It consists of a toroidal (donut-shaped) chamber with magnetic coils that create a strong magnetic field. This field traps charged particles, such as plasma, within the chamber and prevents them from escaping.

2. What is the difference between a pentagon and hexagon toroid?

The main difference between a pentagon and hexagon toroid is the number of sides or faces. A pentagon toroid has five sides, while a hexagon toroid has six sides. This affects the shape and symmetry of the magnetic field within the chamber, which can impact the stability and efficiency of the magnetic mirror.

3. Which shape is better for a magnetic mirror, pentagon or hexagon?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as it depends on various factors such as the specific design and purpose of the magnetic mirror. Both shapes have their advantages and disadvantages, and researchers continue to study and compare their performance in different scenarios.

4. How does a magnetic mirror work?

A magnetic mirror works by using a strong magnetic field to confine charged particles within a toroidal chamber. The magnetic field lines are curved, which causes the particles to reflect back and forth between the two ends of the chamber, hence the name "mirror." This confinement allows for the particles to reach high temperatures and pressures, potentially leading to fusion reactions.

5. What are the applications of a magnetic mirror?

Magnetic mirrors have primarily been used in fusion research as a potential method for achieving controlled fusion reactions. However, they also have other applications, such as in plasma physics research and particle accelerators. Some scientists also believe that magnetic mirrors could be used in space propulsion systems in the future.