Magnitude of the electric field at equator (measured in kV)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the calculation of the magnitude of the electric field at the equator, using the known variables of solar flux and total energy from the sun. The participants discuss various sources and formulas, including a potential figure of 1.06 kVm^-1, but ultimately suggest using the formula for average energy density of a plane wave to calculate the electric field. They also mention the effects of the electric field on the ionosphere and suggest looking for proper references and sources for further information.
Petra de Ruyter
Hi there

Only known variables include the solar flux on the Earths atmosphere at the equator is 1.5 kWm^ -2.

I've calculated the total energy from the Sun as 4 x 10^26 W, but can't seem to get to a calc of the mag of electric field at equator (measured in kVm^-2).

Physics news on Phys.org
Petra de Ruyter said:
Hi there

Only known variables include the solar flux on the Earths atmosphere at the equator is 1.5 kWm^ -2.

I've calculated the total energy from the Sun as 4 x 10^26 W, but can't seem to get to a calc of the mag of electric field at equator (measured in kVm^-2).

I don't think you are going down the right path

the 1.5 kW m2 is the amount of sunlight which isn't going to help much in calculating the natural electric field of the Earth

have a look here for some ideas …..

https://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Electric+Field+of+the+Earth ( and there are many other links on google)
Dave

Is there a formula? A few websites state that it is 1.06 kVm^-1, however they do not say how it is calculated.

Petra de Ruyter said:
Is there a formula? A few websites state that it is 1.06 kVm^-1, however they do not say how it is calculated.
Which website? That figure suggests that we would all be electrocuted just by standing up!

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
suggests that we would all be electrocuted just by standing up!
You're sure? Positive? Absolutely certain? :oldsurprised::olduhh::oldsurprised: :wink::wink:

Likes davenn
Bystander said:
You're sure? Positive? Absolutely certain? :oldsurprised::olduhh::oldsurprised: :wink::wink:
Not necessarily - the source resistance would be very high and our bodies would conduct any unbalanced charge and the potential at our head would be the potential of the nearby ground. However, I think there would have to be consequences which aren't so easily explained away.
But a field of 1kV/m would affect the ionosphere such that the + and - ions would form two layers, top and bottom of a layer, I think. Wouldn't that have been measured?
I'll wait until there's a proper reference about the idea.

Petra de Ruyter said:
1.06 kVm^-1

Petra de Ruyter said:

I don't know where you found that number. At the surface of the Earth there is an electric field of 100 to 150 V/m, due to the fact that the Earth has a negative charge, and the ionosphere a positive charge.
See this link for example: http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_09.html

Greetings the source is in the book "The Light Fantastic: A modern introduction to Classical and Quantum Optics.

The answer to the question is listed as 1.06 kVm^-1 but does not state how this is calculated, I need some guidance as to how this figure was reached?

Petra de Ruyter said:
how this figure was reached?
Direct measurement; 1940 s to 50 s? Thereabouts. Try the stacks in the library.

Petra de Ruyter said:
Greetings the source is in the book "The Light Fantastic: A modern introduction to Classical and Quantum Optics.

The answer to the question is listed as 1.06 kVm^-1 but does not state how this is calculated, I need some guidance as to how this figure was reached?
I think you are to use the formula given for the average energy density of a plane wave. (1.20)
[tex] N = \frac {\epsilon_{0}E^2c}{2} [/tex] where N is the average energy density and E the amplitude of the electric field of the wave.
Of course the light is incoherent, and the amplitude and direction of the field should vary randomly. Calculating an RMS value should come out the same. I don't think you have to prove that for the first exercise of the first chapter.

Greetings

Many thanks willem2. In my book it is (1.19). I appreciate all your help on this. I won't be doing this unit yet, but I wanted to get a head start on it.

cheers

1. What is the magnitude of the electric field at the equator?

The magnitude of the electric field at the equator varies depending on the location and time of day, but on average it is around 100 kV/m.

2. How is the electric field at the equator measured?

The electric field at the equator can be measured using instruments such as electric field mills or electrostatic voltmeters.

3. What causes the electric field at the equator?

The electric field at the equator is caused by the interaction between the Earth's magnetic field and the charged particles in the ionosphere.

4. Does the electric field at the equator change over time?

Yes, the electric field at the equator can change due to various factors such as solar activity and atmospheric conditions.

5. How does the magnitude of the electric field at the equator affect our daily lives?

The magnitude of the electric field at the equator does not have a direct impact on our daily lives as it is shielded by the Earth's atmosphere. However, it plays a crucial role in the functioning of satellites and communication systems that rely on the Earth's magnetic field.