Making Bar Magnets: Heating & B Field Placement

In summary, the best way to make a bar magnet is by placing it in a strong magnetic field, such as inside a solenoid, at room temperature. The magnetic properties of steel can vary greatly, so it is important to experiment with different types. It is not possible to create a magnet with only one pole, and the Earth can be used to determine the north and south poles of a magnet. For electromagnets, the direction of current flow can also indicate the poles, or a compass can be used.
cragar
If I wanted to make bar magnets would I heat up the metal and then place it in a B field of a solenoid and then cool it down in the field to keep the magnetization? It seems if i heated it up first the atoms would be more easily aligned in the B field, And then cool it down to preserve this state.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not quite such that atoms get lose, but, of course, if you cool the ferromagnetic in presence of external field, the magnetisation stays. Just keep in mind that for iron the critical temperature (called Curie's temp - wiki on it and on ferromagnetism!) is about 1000K.

You may just put iron in sufficiently strong magnetic field even at low temperature to keep it magnetised.

You should also know that even small changes in proportion of steel components (and even its physical trechnological treatment) have dramatic influence on its magnetic properties. Some kinds of steel cannot be magnetised at all (e.g. the steel used for cores of transformers).

Last edited:
So what would be the best way to make a magnet. What temp should I have it when I place it in the B field.

cragar said:
So what would be the best way to make a magnet. What temp should I have it when I place it in the B field.
Just a room temperature - place your iron bar in stron magnetic field (inside solenoid).
You must play with different kinds of steel - it is pretty unpredictable. Two nails looking the same may have pretty different magnetic properties. Rule of thumb is that soft low carbon steel is easier to magnetize than springy, hard one.

im also trying to make a permanent magnet. so i have a couple of questions.
when magnetised how do you know which is the north and which is the south poles?
can you make a magnet with only one pole? north or south?
and what can dampen or insulate metals from being attracted by the magnet?

regon said:
how do you know which is the north and which is the south poles?
The Earth would tell you. Suspend your magnet on a thread. North pole tends to point towards North and south pole tends to point toward South.

can you make a magnet with only one pole? north or south?
No one ever succeed. Wiki on magnetic monopole.

and what can dampen or insulate metals from being attracted by the magnet?
Try it at home!
Put a nail into a plastic bottle and see if it is attracted by magnet.
Put it into carton box, and try again.
Put it in an alu-can and try again.
Put into steel can and try...

thanks xts . one more question
electro magnets, how do can you tell north or south? for a solenoid electromagnet to be exact.

regon said:
electro magnets, how do can you tell north or south?
The Earth would tell you. Suspend your electromagnet on a [STRIKE]thread[/STRIKE] wires. North pole tends to point towards North and south pole tends to point toward South.

Another way to know the poles of an electromagnet is to use the direction of current flow. At the north end, current flows in anticlockwise direction while at the south end, current flows in clockwise direction.

I've always checked magnets with a cheap compass. Far simpler than suspending the magnet from threads/wires.

1. How does heating affect the strength of a bar magnet?

Heating a bar magnet can cause its magnetic field to weaken. This is because heating causes the atoms in the magnet to vibrate more, disrupting the alignment of their magnetic domains and reducing the overall magnetic field.

2. Can I use any type of material to make a bar magnet?

No, not all materials can be magnetized. Only certain metals, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, are naturally magnetic and can be used to make a bar magnet.

3. How do I determine the direction of the magnetic field when placing the bar magnet?

The direction of the magnetic field of a bar magnet is from its north pole to its south pole. So, when placing the bar magnet, the north pole should be pointed towards the desired direction of the magnetic field.

4. Can I increase the strength of a bar magnet by placing it in a stronger magnetic field?

Yes, placing a bar magnet in a stronger magnetic field can increase its overall strength. This is because the external magnetic field can help align the magnetic domains in the magnet, making its field stronger.

5. How do I make sure the bar magnet remains magnetized after heating?

To ensure that a bar magnet remains magnetized after heating, it should be cooled slowly and in the presence of an external magnetic field. This allows the magnetic domains to realign and maintain the magnet's strength.