Manipulation of square root function

In summary, the square root function is a mathematical function that is represented by the symbol √ and is the inverse of the squared function. It can be manipulated in various ways, such as finding the square root of a number, simplifying expressions, and solving equations. The function can also be graphed, with its graph being a half-parabola starting at the origin. Some real-life applications of the square root function include calculations in geometry, physics, and finance. Important properties of the function include the product, quotient, and power properties, which aid in simplifying expressions and solving equations.
Albert1
$\dfrac {\sqrt {3-3x}+\sqrt {x+6}}{\sqrt {1-4x}+\sqrt {2x+8}}=\dfrac {\sqrt {3-3x}-\sqrt {x+6}}{\sqrt {1-4x}-\sqrt {2x+8}}$
please find :$x$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, Albert!

$\dfrac {\sqrt {3-3x}+\sqrt {x+6}}{\sqrt {1-4x}+\sqrt {2x+8}}\:=\:\dfrac {\sqrt {3-3x}-\sqrt {x+6}}{\sqrt {1-4x}-\sqrt {2x+8}}$

$\text{Solve for }x.$

Note that:

. . $\begin{Bmatrix}1-4x \:\ge\:0 & \Rightarrow & x\:\le\:\frac{1}{4}\\ 2x+8 \:\ge\:0 & \Rightarrow & x\:\ge \:\text{-}4 \end{Bmatrix}\;\;\;-4 \:\le x \:\le\:\frac{1}{4}$
We have: .[tex]\frac{a+b}{c+d} \:=\:\frac{a-b}{c+d}[/tex]

. . which simplifies to: .$ad \,=\,bc$

That is: .$\sqrt{3-3x}\cdot\sqrt{2x+8} \:=\:\sqrt{x+6}\cdot\sqrt{1-4x}$

Then: .$(3-3x)(2x+8) \:=\: (x+6)(1-4x)$

. . $6x+24-6x^2-24x \;=\;x-4x^2+6-24x $

. . $2x^2-5x-18\:=\:0\quad\Rightarrow\quad (2x-9)(x+2) \:=\:0 $But $x = \tfrac{9}{2}$ is not in the domain.

Therefore, the only root is: .$x = \text{-}2.$

Last edited by a moderator:
if $\frac{a}{b}= \frac{c}{d}$ then both = $\frac{(a+c)}{(b + d)}$ also $\frac{(a-c)}{(b - d)}$

so if ($\frac{(a+c)}{(b + d)}$ =$\frac{(a-c)}{(b - d)}$
then$\frac{a}{b}= \frac{c}{d}$
taking $a = \sqrt{(3- 3x)}$ $b = \sqrt{(x+6)}$ $c = \sqrt{(1-4x)}$ $d=\sqrt{(2x+8)}$
we get $\sqrt{\frac{(3-3x)}{(x+6)}}$ = $\sqrt{\frac{(4x-1)}{(2x+8)}}$

square both sides and get
(3x-3)(2x+8) = (x+6)(4x-1)
expand to get $2x^2 – 5x – 18 = 0$
(x+2)(2x-9) = 0
x = - 2 or 9/2
x = 9/2 is erroneous so x = -2 is the solution

Thanks Soroban and Kaliprasad , both of your answers are correct :)

I would first analyze the given equation and determine its properties. The equation involves the manipulation of square root functions, specifically in the numerator and denominator.

Upon closer examination, it appears that the equation is a rational function, with two square root functions in the numerator and two in the denominator. The numerator and denominator also have similar terms, with one term being the opposite of the other (i.e. $\sqrt {3-3x}$ and $-\sqrt {3-3x}$).

Using algebraic techniques, I can manipulate the given equation to solve for $x$. I would first simplify the equation by rationalizing the denominator, which means multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator. This would eliminate the square root functions in the denominator and result in a simpler equation.

Next, I would square both sides of the equation to eliminate the remaining square root functions. This would result in a quadratic equation, which can be solved using traditional methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula.

Once I have obtained the solutions for $x$, I would then check for any extraneous solutions by plugging them back into the original equation. If the solutions satisfy the original equation, then they are the valid solutions for $x$. However, if they do not, then they are extraneous solutions and should be discarded.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach the manipulation of the square root function in a systematic and logical manner, using algebraic techniques to solve for $x$ and verifying the solutions to ensure their validity.

Related to Manipulation of square root function

1. What is the square root function?

The square root function is a mathematical function that takes a number as an input and returns the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. It is represented by the symbol √ and is the inverse of the squared function.

2. How do you manipulate the square root function?

The square root function can be manipulated in various ways, such as finding the square root of a number, simplifying square root expressions, and solving equations involving square roots. These manipulations involve using basic algebraic principles and rules specific to square roots.

3. Can the square root function be graphed?

Yes, the square root function can be graphed. It is a curve that starts at the origin and increases in a positive direction. The graph of the square root function is a half-parabola, as it only shows the positive values of the squared number.

4. What are some real-life applications of the square root function?

The square root function has many real-life applications, such as calculating the length of a side in a right triangle, finding the distance between two points, and determining the speed of an object given its acceleration. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and finance.

5. Are there any important properties of the square root function?

Yes, there are important properties of the square root function that can be helpful in manipulating it. These include the product property, quotient property, and power property. They allow for simplifying expressions containing square roots and solving equations involving square roots.