Map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate vars to R^2

In summary, the span of the element (a+bi,a-bi) will be isomorphic to either ##\mathbb C## or ##\mathbb R## depending on the scalar field chosen, but it will not be isomorphic to ##\mathbb R^2##.
Jamz
Hello,

I would like your help understanding how to map a region of the space [itex] \mathbb{C}^2 [/itex] spanned by two complex conjugate variables to the real plane [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex] .

Specifically, let us think that we have two complex conugate variables [itex] z [/itex] and [itex] \bar{ z} [/itex] and we define a triangle in the space represented schematically by having [itex] z [/itex] in the abscissa and [itex] \bar{z} [/itex] in the ordinate. I know this [itex] \mathbb{C}^2 [/itex] space shold be isomorphic to [itex] \mathbb{R}^4[/itex] , but considering the constraint that the variables are conjugate, I am hopping one can map such region to a representation in [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex] .

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamz said:
how to map a region of the space [itex] \mathbb{C}^2 [/itex] spanned by two complex conjugate variables to the real plane [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex] .
Crucial information is missing from the question. When you talk about 'spanning' it sounds like you want to consider ##\mathbb C^2## as a vector space. If so, what is the related scalar field - ##\mathbb R## or ##\mathbb C##? Each one leads to a different answer.

Also, what do you mean by 'spanned by two complex conjugate variables'? An element of ##\mathbb C^2## is an ordered pair of complex numbers ##(z_1,z_2)##. Are you referring to an ordered pair of the form ##(a+bi,a-bi)##?

Likes Jamz
andrewkirk said:
Crucial information is missing from the question. When you talk about 'spanning' it sounds like you want to consider ##\mathbb C^2## as a vector space. If so, what is the related scalar field - ##\mathbb R## or ##\mathbb C##? Each one leads to a different answer.

Also, what do you mean by 'spanned by two complex conjugate variables'? An element of ##\mathbb C^2## is an ordered pair of complex numbers ##(z_1,z_2)##. Are you referring to an ordered pair of the form ##(a+bi,a-bi)##?

You are right, sorry for the misuse. I thought that seeing it as vector space with basis ##\{ \partial_{z},\partial_{\bar{z}} \}## would mean the same. But let us forget about that. What I am saying is precisely what you wrote:

I am referring to an ordered pair of the form ##(a+bi,a-bi)##

Jamz said:
You are right, sorry for the misuse. I thought that seeing it as vector space with basis ##\{ \partial_{z},\partial_{\bar{z}} \}## would mean the same. But let us forget about that. What I am saying is precisely what you wrote:

I am referring to an ordered pair of the form ##(a+bi,a-bi)##
You haven't answered the question about the scalar field.
andrewkirk said:
If so, what is the related scalar field - ##\mathbb R## or ##\mathbb C##? Each one leads to a different answer.

Likes Jamz
A ##n##-dimensional vector space over field ##F## is isomorphic to the vector space ##F^n##.

##\mathbb C^2## can be considered as a two-dimensional vector space over scalar field ##\mathbb C## and a four-dimensional vector space over scalar field ##\mathbb R##. In the latter case it is isomorphic to ##\mathbb R^4## over scalar field ##\mathbb R##.

The question is about the vector space generated by element ##(a+bi,a-bi)##, which is a single element of whatever vector space we are considering. So it generates a one-dimensional subspace.

Using the theorem of the first paragraph, over scalar field ##\mathbb C## that one-dimensional subspace will be isomorphic to ##\mathbb C^1=\mathbb C##. And over ##\mathbb R## it will be isomorphic to ##\mathbb R^1=\mathbb R##.

Either way it will not be isomorphic to ##\mathbb R^2##. However in the first case (ie over ##\mathbb C##), there will be a natural, intuitive bijection between the subspace and ##\mathbb R^2##, in the same way that there is a natural, intuitive bijection between ##\mathbb C## and ##\mathbb R##.

Likes Jamz
To summarize : span is ## \{ c1(a+bi)+c2(a-bi)\} ## and it will depend on whether ##c_1, c_2 ## are Complex or Real scalars.

Likes Jamz

1. What is a map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2?

A map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2 is a mathematical function that takes input from a space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables (such as the complex plane) and outputs a point on the real plane R^2. This type of map is commonly used in complex analysis and is also known as a conformal mapping.

2. How is a map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2 represented?

A map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2 is typically represented by an equation that relates the input variables (z and z*) to the output variables (x and y). This equation can vary depending on the specific map being used.

3. What is the purpose of using a map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2?

The purpose of using a map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2 is to simplify complex mathematical problems and make them more easily solvable. These maps have special properties that can transform difficult problems into simpler ones.

4. Can a map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2 be used for any type of problem?

No, a map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2 is typically used for problems in complex analysis and other related fields. It may not be suitable for all types of problems, and other methods may be more appropriate for certain situations.

5. How is a map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2 related to the concept of conformal invariance?

A map from space spanned by 2 complex conjugate variables to R^2 is closely related to the concept of conformal invariance, as these maps preserve angles between curves and shapes. This makes them useful in applications where preserving the shape of a figure is important, such as in fluid dynamics and electrical engineering.