Marginal inductance and capacitance of a real wire?

In summary: Are you asking for the answer under circuit theory or under Maxwells equations?They give different answers. under circuit theory an ideal wire does have a magnetic field and therefore energy is stored in the magnetic field. Inductance isn't a part of Maxwells equations, so about all you can say is that there is a magnetic field and an associated energy density.In Maxwells equations an ideal current carrying wire does have a magnetic field and therefore energy is stored in the magnetic field. Inductance isn't a part of Maxwells equations, so about all you can say is that there is a magnetic field and an associated energy density.
kostoglotov
Speaking just of long straight wires, not loops, coils or solenoids.

Ideal wires have no resistance. Of course they would have no capacitance. And real wires have some very small amount of inductance, no?

Firstly, would an ideal wire have some ideal nonzero inductance? Why/why not? After all, an ideal wire should still setup a circling magnetic field which takes energy, no? Wouldn't that magnetic field around an ideal wire still collapse upon switching the current off to keep a tiny more current going for a little bit longer?

Secondly, does a real wire, the simplest you could construct, have some tiny degree of capacitance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking for the answer under circuit theory or under Maxwells equations? They give different answers.

DaleSpam said:
Are you asking for the answer under circuit theory or under Maxwells equations? They give different answers.

I'd be interested in both, but probably more in Maxwell's answer.

So in Maxwells equations an ideal current carrying wire does have a magnetic field and therefore energy is stored in the magnetic field. Inductance isn't a part of Maxwells equations, so about all you can say is that there is a magnetic field and an associated energy density.

In circuit theory an ideal wire does not have any inductance. A real wire is modeled as an ideal wire plus some other components reflecting the non ideal behavior.

Last edited:
kostoglotov said:
Of course they would have no capacitance
Oh yes, they would. Everything has a capacitance (relative to the rest of the universe at least). You have a capacitance (about 1nF).

Svein said:
Oh yes, they would. Everything has a capacitance (relative to the rest of the universe at least). You have a capacitance (about 1nF).

IDEAL wires are modeled as having a capacitance?

Surely, ideal wires are modeled as whatever you choose?

Likes kostoglotov
Merlin3189 said:
Surely, ideal wires are modeled as whatever you choose?

Ok I agree, but typically an ideal wire would be modeled as having no capacitance yes? To simplify things.

I suppose a better question then would be, to consider a very long high voltage low current power line. Would one need to model the capacitance between the terminals of the transmission wire for any practical reason? After all, it's low current, I can't imagine there is a great deal of standing charge separation, though perhaps during the charging up and down phases you'd see some lag between the current and the voltage...?

When we draw black lines to join up our component symbols, the black lines have no resistance, no capacitance, no inductance and, I guess, no length. If these are the ideal wires, then fine. If we are concerned (eg. RF circuits) about the capacitance and inductance we know real wires have, then they have to be shown as additional blocks, or maybe as additional strip lines of given dimensions and properties.
What puzzled me in your original post was
Ideal wires have no resistance. Of course they would have no capacitance. And real wires have some very small amount of inductance, no? Firstly, would an ideal wire have some ideal nonzero inductance?
This seems to jumble up real & ideal in an odd way.
I think ideal wires have arbitrary properties that you choose to match your ideal. For me, ideal ideal wires have nothing except electrical connectivity - the black lines on our diagrams.
But once you start giving them properties such as inductance, then why would you assume the other properties are not there? If a wire has inductance, I think it must have capacitance as well. You might choose to be uninterested in either or both, depending on other factors. Perhaps with high current and low voltage, you might worry more about inductance than capacitance, or at high voltages and low currents, worry more about capacitance than inductance. But there's no "of course" about it.

I don't know much about power lines, but signal transmission lines (like coax and twin feeders) depend specifically on the ratio between their inductance and capacitance for their main characteristics.

Firstly, would an ideal wire have some ideal nonzero inductance? Why/why not?
It depends what you mean by ideal. All real wires have inductance and capacitance.
But if you say your ideal wire has inductance, you now need to specify its dimensions so that you can calculate it. If you just say, oh this wire has 10nH inductance, you might as well put that as a lumped component and stick to ideal ideal wire.

And, does a real wire have a tiny bit of capacitance, of course.

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is marginal inductance and capacitance of a real wire?

Marginal inductance and capacitance refer to the small changes in inductance and capacitance that occur when a wire is added to an existing circuit. They represent the incremental contribution of the wire to the overall inductance and capacitance of the circuit.

2. How do marginal inductance and capacitance affect a circuit?

Marginal inductance and capacitance can affect a circuit in several ways. They can impact the resonant frequency, power factor, and impedance of the circuit. They can also cause interference and signal distortions.

3. What factors influence the marginal inductance and capacitance of a real wire?

The marginal inductance and capacitance of a real wire can be influenced by various factors such as the length, diameter, and material of the wire, as well as the surrounding environment and the frequency of the circuit.

4. How can marginal inductance and capacitance be calculated?

The calculation of marginal inductance and capacitance can be complex and depends on the specific circuit and wire parameters. However, there are various mathematical formulas and simulation tools that can be used to estimate these values.

5. How can the effects of marginal inductance and capacitance be minimized?

The effects of marginal inductance and capacitance can be minimized by carefully selecting the wire size, material, and placement in the circuit. Using shielding, twisted pairs, or other techniques can also help reduce their impact on the circuit.