Mars - Igneous Rock, Exposed to Water, and with Organic Material

In summary, the definition given by the Nigerianscholars.com seems to be more authoritative than the definition given by the dictionary.
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been wondering about how the phrase "organic molecule" is interpreted by most readers. It seems to me that there are two types of organic molecules: (1) created by a life process (like for example sucrose) , and (2) NOT created by a life process (like for example methane). I am wondering what the use of this technical term suggests to a reader about an intuitive estimate of what fraction of the kinds of organic molecules found on non-Earth places are likely to be type (1). My own guess is that the fraction is pretty small (like say less than 1%) that such extraterrestrial finds are type (1).

In the definition of organic chemistry, the dictionary says "the chemistry of compounds containing carbon (originally defined as the chemistry of substances produced by living organisms but now extended to substances synthesized artificially)"

Hi @anorlunda:

Thank you for yout definition. However, the definition you give seems to exclude a natural non-life made compound such as methane. It is neither life made or artificially made.

Regards,
Buzz

I think the point of that definition was any molecule containing carbon, regardless of how it was created.

Likes Tom.G
Hi @anorlunda:

I recently saw a different article that talked about the returning of the samples of organic molecules from Mars to Earth. Unfortunately I cannot find that article now. What I remember is that the package will take about 30 years to reach Earth, and I do not expect to be alive then to learn about what these Martian organic molecules really are.

I also note that there is an enormous amount of "organic molecules" on Venus (CO2). Just as I said in my post #2, my 99% guess confidence is that these Martian organic molecules are not produced by a life process, and that the same is approximately true for Venus.

Regards,
Buzz

I would not put so much weight on the relationship between the words organic and life.

Hi @anorlunda:
anorlunda said:
I would not put so much weight on the relationship between the words organic and life.

I fully agree with the quote above. However, I am botheted by my guess that the likelihood is that many readers will not share this view, and that they will make an incorrect conclusion.

I found a different "definition" for organic molecule that seems to be an authoritative source:
https://nigerianscholars.com/tutorials/organic-molecules/what-are-organic-molecules/ .

It says that "not all compounds that contain carbon are organic molecules". The given definition is:
An organic molecule is a molecule that contains carbon atoms (generally bonded to other carbon atoms as well as hydrogen atoms).

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:

1. What is igneous rock?

Igneous rock is a type of rock that forms from the cooling and solidification of molten rock, or magma. It is typically formed deep within the Earth's crust or mantle, and can also be formed on the surface through volcanic activity.

2. How was igneous rock formed on Mars?

Igneous rock on Mars was formed through volcanic activity. The planet's surface is covered in volcanic plains, and the presence of volcanoes such as Olympus Mons suggests that there was once a lot of volcanic activity on Mars.

3. What does it mean for igneous rock on Mars to be exposed to water?

Exposure to water means that the igneous rock on Mars has come into contact with water in some form, whether it be liquid, vapor, or ice. This can alter the composition and texture of the rock, and can also provide evidence of past water activity on the planet.

4. Is there evidence of organic material in igneous rock on Mars?

Yes, there is evidence of organic material in igneous rock on Mars. In 2018, NASA's Curiosity rover detected organic molecules in ancient rocks on the planet, providing strong evidence that there was once organic material present on Mars.

5. What can the study of igneous rock on Mars tell us about the planet's history?

The study of igneous rock on Mars can tell us a lot about the planet's history. By analyzing the composition and texture of the rock, scientists can determine the conditions under which it formed, providing insight into the planet's past climate and geological activity. It can also provide evidence of past water activity and the potential for life on Mars.