Math Jokes: 1-1=0, but 2=0? Impossible!

In summary, the conversation was about sharing a nonsensical math problem and using math to create jokes. The example given was incorrect and potentially harmful for those learning math. Some alternative jokes were also shared.
Harsha Avinash Tanti
I would like share a nonsense math problem which certainly wrong but its fun I would like others to join as well in my endeavor to create jokes by using math. the joke is as follows

As we know,
1-1=0
let,
a = 1 , b = 1
then,
a - b = 0
also,
a^2 - b^2 = 0 as a^2 = 1 and b^2 = 1
thus as per algebra
(a - b)(a + b) = 0
thus,
i.e, a - b = 0 and a + b = 0
i.e, 1 - 1 = 0 and 2 = 0.
:woot::nb):smile::sorry:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Harsha Avinash Tanti said:
I would like share a nonsense math problem which certainly wrong but its fun I would like others to join as well in my endeavor to create jokes by using math. the joke is as follows

As we know,
1-1=0
let,
a = 1 , b = 1
then,
a - b = 0
also,
a^2 - b^2 = 0 as a^2 = 1 and b^2 = 1
thus as per algebra
(a - b)(a + b) = 0
thus,
:woot::nb):smile::sorry:
This isn't really new: hide zero in a variable and divide by it. What's new is, that you have hidden the division in a multiplication as you used a false logical statement: AND instead of OR. And even OR isn't necessarily true.

I'm not very comfortable with this kind of "joke" because it is simply just wrong on so many levels, that these examples guide the wrong way to seriously learn mathematics. There are better "jokes" where you can actually learn something instead of to learn how to make mistakes. I've seen the above on so many occasions in students' homework or tests, that it is not funny at all. We try to improve mathematical skills, not to damage them.

Harsha Avinash Tanti said:
(a - b)(a + b) = 0
thus,
:woot::nb)[emoji2]:sorry:

Doesn't really work as a joke because, as already pointed out you made a mistake, it's OR not AND.

fresh_42 said:
This isn't really new: hide zero in a variable and divide by it. What's new is, that you have hidden the division in a multiplication as you used a false logical statement: AND instead of OR. And even OR isn't necessarily true.

I'm not very comfortable with this kind of "joke" because it is simply just wrong on so many levels, that these examples guide the wrong way to seriously learn mathematics. There are better "jokes" where you can actually learn something instead of to learn how to make mistakes. I've seen the above on so many occasions in students' homework or tests, that it is not funny at all. We try to improve mathematical skills, not to damage them.

I get that but just did that for pun man I am not at all serious about it.

CWatters said:
Doesn't really work as a joke because, as already pointed out you made a mistake, it's OR not AND.
How about this one,
I use this as magic trick to amuse my nephew

I think of any number between 20000 and 30000
say 29547 then I put in an envelop
then
I give a number 9549
then I ask for a random number from my nephew suppose he says 2347
then I say a random number 7652
then I ask for another random number and he says 4587
then I say a random number 5412

then I tell him to add it all up vol-ah you get 29547.

What trick have I used and can you do it for number range 50000 to 60000

I think we've run the course of math jokes here. Closing the thread now so as to prevent future readers from making these same mistakes in math.

1. Why is 1-1 equal to 0, but 2 equal to 0?

This is because 1-1 is a mathematical expression that represents the subtraction of 1 from 1, which results in 0. On the other hand, 2 is a whole number that is equal to 2 units, and it cannot be equal to 0. Therefore, the statement "1-1=0, but 2=0" is a play on words and not a literal mathematical equation.

2. Is this a real math equation?

No, this is not a real math equation. It is a joke that plays on the definition of the equal sign in math. The equal sign in math means that the expression on both sides of the sign are equivalent, but in this case, it is used to create a humorous statement.

3. Why is this joke funny?

This joke is funny because it uses a common mathematical concept, the equal sign, in an unexpected and illogical way. It also plays on the idea of mathematical equations being logical and precise, but in this case, it is used to create a nonsensical statement.

4. Can you explain the logic behind this joke?

The logic behind this joke is based on the properties of numbers and mathematical operations. Subtraction of 1 from 1 will always result in 0, but it is impossible for 2 to be equal to 0. This joke takes these mathematical truths and twists them to create a humorous statement.

5. Are there other similar math jokes?

Yes, there are many other math jokes that play on mathematical concepts and equations. For example, "Why was the math book sad? Because it had too many problems." These jokes use mathematical language and concepts to create unexpected and humorous statements.