Math research ideas for high school student?

In summary, the speaker has been accepted into a research program at their school and is looking for a research topic related to pure mathematics. Their knowledge is limited to geometry, but they are interested in studying the concept of infinity. Suggestions are made to study various mathematics that use the word "infinity," such as limits, transfinite ordinals and cardinals. Other topics such as Hilbert-Spaces, Operator Algebras, and Projective Geometry are also suggested. The speaker could also write about misconceptions of infinity and use the forum to gather information for their research.
bmcphysics
So I've been accepted into a research program at my school, and I'm to come up with a research topic to work on over the school year. My mathematics is limited to geometry, though after this year will encompass trig and pre-calc. Anyway, I'm interested in pure mathematics, but obviously my knowledge limits what I can do. Any original research is surely out of the question, so I've been thinking something along the lines of analyzing a conflicted area of study and coming to my own judgement. Some one suggested the concept of infinity, which certainly could be interesting. Any suggestions? and remember this has to be a YEAR of research.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
bmcphysics said:
. Some one suggested the concept of infinity, which certainly could be interesting.

is that a research program in philosophy or in mathematics? - or in some sort of mixture? You could certain study various mathematics that uses the word "infinity" (such as limits, transfinite ordinals and cardinals). However, if you want to study the "concept" of infinity, you might find mathematics very restrictive because the word "infinity" has no independent meaning in mathematics, it is only used as part of a phrase or sentence and thus it has meaning in narrow contexts.

You could study the Calculus Of Finite Differences and matrices and then answer my question!
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=630493

(Of course I should have written those sums as [itex] \sum_{i=1}^n i^2 [/itex] and [itex] \sum_{i=1}^n (2i + 1) [/itex].)

Hey bmcphysics.

One definite requirement of understanding infinity has to be to study Hilbert-Spaces and Operator Algebras on Hilbert-Spaces which is basically looking at infinite-dimensional operators.

Also you might want to look at Projective geometry as well.

Take a course on Hilbert-Spaces and Operator Algebras to really look at the current understandings of infinity, but make sure you have the right pre-requisites so that you can understand how the infinity makes sense (or screws things up from the finite point of view: i.e. the convergence aspect).

Stephen Tashi said:
is that a research program in philosophy or in mathematics? - or in some sort of mixture? You could certain study various mathematics that uses the word "infinity" (such as limits, transfinite ordinals and cardinals). However, if you want to study the "concept" of infinity, you might find mathematics very restrictive because the word "infinity" has no independent meaning in mathematics, it is only used as part of a phrase or sentence and thus it has meaning in narrow contexts.

You could study the Calculus Of Finite Differences and matrices and then answer my question!
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=630493

(Of course I should have written those sums as [itex] \sum_{i=1}^n i^2 [/itex] and [itex] \sum_{i=1}^n (2i + 1) [/itex].)

He could write about the misconceptions of infinity. And give explanations as to why those misconceptions are incorrect. He could use the search function on this forum to complete an entire book!

1. What are some potential topics for high school students to research in math?

Some potential topics for high school students to research in math include number theory, geometry, statistics, graph theory, and combinatorics. These areas of math are accessible to students at the high school level and offer opportunities for hands-on exploration and discovery.

2. How can high school students come up with original research ideas in math?

High school students can come up with original research ideas in math by looking for real-world problems that can be solved using mathematical concepts, exploring areas of math that interest them, and collaborating with teachers or other students to brainstorm ideas. They can also look at current research in math and try to build upon or expand on existing ideas.

3. What resources are available for high school students to conduct math research?

There are a variety of resources available for high school students to conduct math research. These include books, online articles and databases, math journals, and academic conferences. Additionally, students can reach out to math professors or professionals in their community for guidance and support.

4. How can high school students present their math research findings?

High school students can present their math research findings through written reports, presentations, posters, or even videos. They can also participate in science fairs or math competitions to showcase their work and receive feedback from judges and peers. Additionally, students can submit their research to academic journals or present at conferences to share their findings with a wider audience.

5. How can math research benefit high school students?

Math research can benefit high school students in many ways. It can help them develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Additionally, it can deepen their understanding of mathematical concepts and how they apply to real-world situations. Research experience can also be valuable for college applications and future academic or professional pursuits in the field of math.