Mathematical Modelling, Vectors and Parametric Equations

In summary, the conversation revolves around a request for assistance with solving multiple math problems, including ones involving equations and reasoning. The problems involve topics such as dot products, derivatives, and integrals. The conversation also includes explanations and clarifications for some of the answers.
Nile Anderson

Homework Statement

Sorry to disappoint the math fanatics but no this is not a question that integrates all three topics at once but individual ones. I still need assistance though with the following more so in the reasoning behind them as I feel my logic is flawed.
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t34.0-12/11350393_1080048282023208_1468717877_n.jpg?oh=42c6757af8f078a9a8f525051260bde9&oe=5576CB04
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t34.0-12/11358829_1080048288689874_1045920915_n.jpg?oh=8a5bced9bb2de46109e19b8e50124969&oe=5575A90C
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/10003237_1080048292023207_149145089_n.jpg?oh=d49bf300e8c582b94ef1b70a47c9c616&oe=5575A4F2

Homework Equations

There are not really any relevant equations but look at my solutions below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure these are wrong
22D
28C
42C
43B

Physics news on Phys.org
Please also state your reasoning behind your answers. Simply selecting on random does not really qualify as an attempt and it will be easier for everyone to see when/if you have the wrong idea.

Likes Nile Anderson
Orodruin said:
Please also state your reasoning behind your answers. Simply selecting on random does not really qualify as an attempt and it will be easier for everyone to see when/if you have the wrong idea.
Sorry my good sir,
22) To be completely honest , the approach to this one is fuzzy for me as I have only done two variables at a time before this but i thought that i could square the x and y to get that x2 + y2 = r2cos2θ and then adding z squared would produce x2 + y2 +z2 = r2cos2θ + r2sin2θ= r2, is this correct , is there no simpler approach if so
28) This one was even trickier I imagined that is they were perpendicular then their dot product = 0 , but things got hairy when r.s came up , as I only had so far (r-s)(2r+3s)=0, I said r=s for one solution so r.s must me rs which makes no sense when I repeat it now .
42) I found the first derivative and assumed where it was greater than zero , the graph was increasing
43) I said it was 10 years between 1990 and 2000 and so it was zero to ten.

Orodruin said:
Is this not satisfactory ?

Your reasoning and answer for 22 and 42 are fine.
For 43, you are right, but your explanation is a bit vague. Note the exact statement of the start and end times.
For 28:
Nile Anderson said:
28) This one was even trickier I imagined that is they were perpendicular then their dot product = 0 , but things got hairy when r.s came up , as I only had so far (r-s)(2r+3s)=0.
Expand that and isolate r.s.

Likes Nile Anderson
haruspex said:
Your reasoning and answer for 22 and 42 are fine.
For 43, you are right, but your explanation is a bit vague. Note the exact statement of the start and end times.
For 28:

Expand that and isolate r.s.
Darn should have went with first instinct
(r-s)(2r+3s)=0
2r.r +3 s.r - 2s.r - 3s.s=0
2r2 + s.r -3s2=0
s.r= 3s2-2r2
Making A the answer, Thanks Mr. Haruspex Sir
About the integral one though, it was just basically an intuitive guess , I still don't understand why I would start at 0 and why end at 10 , why that would not work out to 11 years versus the 10 from 1990 to 1999 ( Because it is not the end of 2000), I am pretty clueless about that one, no intuition whatsoever

Exactly how many years are between Jan 1, 1990, and Jan 1, 2000? You are allowed to use decimals.

Likes Nile Anderson
10 years , yes ok but why do we start at zero , is that a general rule ?

No, this must be chosen according to how the time t=0 was selected, but this is not explicitly stated in the problem.

Likes Nile Anderson

1) What is mathematical modelling?

Mathematical modelling is the process of using mathematical equations and techniques to represent and analyze real-world systems or phenomena. It involves creating a simplified mathematical representation of a complex system in order to gain insight into its behavior and make predictions.

2) What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that represent magnitude and direction. They are commonly used in mathematical modelling to represent physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force. Vectors can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by scalars, making them useful for solving problems involving direction and magnitude.

3) How are parametric equations used in mathematical modelling?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe the behavior of a system in terms of one or more parameters. They are often used in mathematical modelling to represent systems that change over time, such as the motion of objects. Parametric equations allow for a more precise and dynamic representation of a system's behavior.

4) What are some common applications of mathematical modelling?

Mathematical modelling has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some common examples include predicting the spread of diseases, designing structures and systems, optimizing processes, and understanding complex natural phenomena.

5) How can I improve my skills in using mathematical modelling techniques?

Practice and exposure to different types of problems and applications are key to improving your skills in mathematical modelling. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Additionally, staying updated on new techniques and technologies in the field can also help improve your skills.