Max Area of isosceles triangle with perimeter 1

In summary, given this seemingly simple problem of maximising the area of an isosceles triangle with perimeter equal to 1, the best approach is to maximise $(\frac {y}{2}^{2}) \sqrt(x^{2}-(\frac{y}{2})^{2})$ subject to $2x + y = 1$, and this can be achieved by using Heron's formula. However, this method takes a long time to calculate. Another option is to minimise \(A^2\) which also minimises \(A\).
GreenGoblin
Given this seemingly simple problem of maximising the area of an isosceles triangle with perimeter equal to 1. What is the best approach and how will I find a result easiest (I know how to get the answer but I need to be able to do these problems fast, so please help me look for a quick method if there is one?)

What I do is go for
max $(\frac {y}{2}^{2}) \sqrt(x^{2}-(\frac{y}{2})^{2})$
subject to $2x + y = 1$

Then rearrange y = 1 - 2x and substitute, maximise using the derivative etc but it takes absolute ages...
Is there a quicker way? How should I approach this kind of problem (a different problem may be given) in a timed scenario?

I got to $\frac{1-3x}{2\sqrt (x-\frac{1}{4}}$ which would make at 0 x=1/3 = y? This can't be right as it would make it an equilateral not isosceles. I also make the area $\frac{1}{12\sqrt (3)}$ which doesn't feel right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GreenGoblin said:
Given this seemingly simple problem of maximising the area of an isosceles triangle with perimeter equal to 1. What is the best approach and how will I find a result easiest (I know how to get the answer but I need to be able to do these problems fast, so please help me look for a quick method if there is one?)

What I do is go for
subject to $2x + y = 1$

Then rearrange y = 1 - 2x and substitute, maximise using the derivative etc but it takes absolute ages...
Is there a quicker way? How should I approach this kind of problem (a different problem may be given) in a timed scenario?

I got to $\frac{1-3x}{2\sqrt (x-\frac{1}{4}}$ which would make at 0 x=1/3 = y? This can't be right as it would make it an equilateral not isosceles. I also make the area $\frac{1}{12\sqrt (3)}$ which doesn't feel right.

Might I suggest you use Heron's formula for the area:

\[A^2=s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)\]

Where \(s\) is the semi-perimeter and \(a, b,\) and \(c\) are the sides.
CB

Last edited:
I basically did, albeit unintentionally. I have the same expression it gives for the area.

GreenGoblin said:
subject to $2x + y = 1$
Shouldn't this be $\max\frac {y}{2} \sqrt{x^{2}-\left(\frac{y}{2}\right)^{2}}$ (i.e., the first y shouldn't be squared)? Otherwise, you are measuring area in $\mbox{cm}^3$...

You are correct,
I typed that up wrong,

I used the correct version as you stated in my calculations.
I can't see at all where I've gone wrong but I know my answer must be wrong... but that is the only extreme point I can find. It looks more like a minimum if anything at all but I cna't find another.

Just to clarify, I did that, subbed in y = 1-2x, differentiated and set to 0. What I put is what I got. Forgive me not typing up all my notes as it would take a couple hours with all that tex. This goes againsy my instrinct though and I think there should be a simpler way.

CaptainBlack said:
Might I suggest you use Heron's formula for the area:

\[A^2=s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)\]

Where \(s\) is the semi-perimeter and \(a, b,\) and \(c\) are the sides.
CB

GreenGoblin said:
I basically did, albeit unintentionally. I have the same expression it gives for the area.

So as we have an isoscellese triangle let a be the non-equal side, then the sides are \(a, (1-a)/2, (1-a)/2\) so you need to maximise:

\[ A^2=(1/2)\left(\frac{1}{2}-a\right)\left(\frac{a}{2}\right)^2\]

CB

CaptainBlack said:
So as we have an isoscellese triangle let a be the non-equal side, then the sides are \(a, (1-a)/2, (1-a)/2\) so you need to maximise:

\[ A^2=(1/2)\left(\frac{1}{2}-a\right)\left(\frac{a}{2}\right)^2\]

CB
Yes, that's the same. It's just a rearranged form and skipping the substitution stage. Your a is my x, no difference.

GreenGoblin said:
Yes, that's the same. It's just a rearranged form and skipping the substitution stage. Your a is my x, no difference.

Note finding the side that minimises \(A^2\) also minimises \(A\), so you do not need to take the square root.

CB

GreenGoblin said:

What I do is go for
subject to $2x + y = 1$

An equilateral triangle is an isosceles triangle (and an equilateral triangle is the answer, it does maximise the area of all isosceles triangles of perimeter 1)

CB

My answer is correct then, I haven't done anything wrong.

GreenGoblin said:
My answer is correct then, I haven't done anything wrong.

It is correct, yes

CB

loquetedigo said:
< 0.0481125224 => TrianCal

Yes, I believe it was already established clearly in this thread that the maximum area of an isosceles triangle having a perimeter of 1 is given by:

\(\displaystyle A_{\max}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{3}\cdot\frac{1}{3}\sin\left(60^{\circ}\right)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{36}\)

As stated, for a given perimeter, the isosceles triangle having the greatest area will be equilateral.

Additional information posted in threads is certainly appreciated, but please ensure you are adding information and not simply reiterating what has already been given.

Related to Max Area of isosceles triangle with perimeter 1

1. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a type of triangle that has two sides with equal lengths and two equal angles opposite those sides.

2. What is the maximum area of an isosceles triangle with perimeter 1?

The maximum area of an isosceles triangle with perimeter 1 is 0.25 square units. This occurs when the two equal sides have a length of 0.5 units and the angle opposite those sides is 90 degrees.

3. How do you calculate the area of an isosceles triangle?

To calculate the area of an isosceles triangle, you can use the formula A = 0.5 * b * h, where b is the base of the triangle and h is the height. The height can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, where h = √(s^2 - (0.5b)^2), and s is the length of the equal sides.

4. Is the maximum area of an isosceles triangle always the same?

Yes, the maximum area of an isosceles triangle with a given perimeter will always be the same. This is because the area is determined by the length of the equal sides and the angle opposite those sides, which do not change.

5. Can an isosceles triangle have a perimeter greater than 1?

Yes, an isosceles triangle can have a perimeter greater than 1. However, the maximum area of an isosceles triangle with a perimeter of 1 will always be 0.25 square units.