Maximum height acceleration

In summary, when an object is thrown in the air, its velocity decreases until it reaches the maximum height, where it becomes 0 m/s. However, its acceleration remains constant at -9.8 m/s^2. The derivative of a linear function such as y = 4x - 4 is always constant, and at x = 1, the derivative is still 4. Differentiating velocity as a function of time is necessary to find its value at a specific time, as velocity is not constant in this case. The expert also commends the clever strategy employed in explaining the mistake without explicitly stating it.
nebbione
Hi everyone! If i know that acceleration is the derivative of the velocity, why when i throw an object in the air when the object reaches the maximum height its velocity is 0 m/s and its acceleration is still -9.8 m/s^2 ? I mean, the derivative of 0 m/s is not -g but still 0.

Who can explain me this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the derivative of y = 4x - 4? What is the derivative of that when x = 1?

the derivative is 4 and when x=1 is still 4.

Do you see your mistake now?

Velocity in this case(magnitude) is not constant.Therefore you have to differentiate velocity as a function of time this and find its value at the required time.However,since velocity increases uniformly and I've is linear,its derivative will be constant

Vanadium 50 -

Clever - interesting how you explained what he did wrong
without explicitly stating what he did wrong. That is a good
strategy to employ when teaching others. Thank You.

Related to Maximum height acceleration

What is maximum height acceleration?

Maximum height acceleration refers to the maximum rate at which an object can accelerate upwards before reaching its highest point. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is maximum height acceleration calculated?

Maximum height acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = v^2/2h, where a is the acceleration, v is the initial velocity, and h is the height.

What factors affect maximum height acceleration?

Several factors can affect maximum height acceleration, including the mass and shape of the object, air resistance, and external forces such as gravity.

Why is maximum height acceleration important?

Maximum height acceleration is important in understanding the motion and behavior of objects, particularly in relation to gravity. It is also essential in fields such as aerospace engineering and sports science.

How does maximum height acceleration relate to other concepts in physics?

Maximum height acceleration is closely related to other concepts in physics, such as velocity, acceleration, and force. It is also a key component in the study of projectile motion and Newton's laws of motion.