Maximum light intensity underwater during seasons?

In summary: The location where the sun is in the sky (zenith) does not vary noticeably with temperature variations being mostly dependant on light hours and longer peak time. NOAA offers an online tool that shows the average maximum irradiation of visible light reaching a certain latitude at peak time during a month.
Alfreds9
Hi,

I was thinking if maximum light intensity underwater during seasons changes somehow.

I firstly thought about considering monthly solar irradiance (http://neo.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/view.php?datasetId=CERES_INSOL_M) however I thought this would have been biased at certain latitudes due to seasonal variation of total light hours.

So, not considering algal growth affecting water tubidity and always considering sun being straight above water, do you think that you'd get a stronger (visible, not considering IR or UV) illumination during summer rather than during winter or would they reach 10, 20 or more meters relatively unaffected in either season?

Thank you

Allison

Science news on Phys.org
If the Sun were straight above the water (on the local vertical) the things would be different.
However, unless you live very close to Equator, the Sun will never be in this situation. And the maximum height in the sky varies during the year. I don't see why would you expect to have a constant illumination of the water when we don't get it for the rest of the landscape. In winter everything gets less light and heat from the Sun in the temperate and Nordic regions.
But maybe I misunderstood you question?

Likes Alfreds9
Alfreds9 said:
and always considering sun being straight above water, do you think that you'd get a stronger (visible, not considering IR or UV) illumination during summer rather than during winter
If the sun is straight above water, you don't have summer and winter.

Likes Alfreds9
nasu said:
If the Sun were straight above the water (on the local vertical) the things would be different.
However, unless you live very close to Equator, the Sun will never be in this situation. And the maximum height in the sky varies during the year. I don't see why would you expect to have a constant illumination of the water when we don't get it for the rest of the landscape. In winter everything gets less light and heat from the Sun in the temperate and Nordic regions.
But maybe I misunderstood you question?

A.T. said:

I see, didn't think about this, thank you very much...I always thought that zenith was zenith and it didn't vary noticeably, with temperature variations being mostly dependant on light hours and longer peak time.

Where can I find peak average solar irradiation by month (meaning the average maximum irradiation of visible light reaching a certain latitude at peak time during a month)?
I can only find total solar irradiation data on NOAA, but since they're a sum of irradiation values and obviously light hours, their total amount is somewhat biased and can't show me when average solar irradiation during peak time is higher during the year.
One could guess that it's higher when its hotter but again I don't know if I can be sure of this since it may just be a variation of infrared irradiation rather than visible light.

Thanks again.

A.T. said:
Or even day and night!

Likes Alfreds9

1. What is the maximum light intensity underwater during different seasons?

The maximum light intensity underwater varies depending on the season. In general, the highest light intensity is found during the summer months when the sun is at its highest point in the sky. This is due to the longer days and more direct angle of the sun's rays. In contrast, the lowest light intensity is typically found during the winter months when the days are shorter and the sun's angle is lower.

2. How does the depth of the water affect the maximum light intensity underwater?

The depth of the water can greatly affect the maximum light intensity underwater. Generally, the deeper the water, the less light can penetrate to the bottom. This is due to the absorption and scattering of light by water molecules and particles. In shallower waters, more light can reach the bottom, resulting in a higher maximum light intensity compared to deeper waters.

3. Are there any other factors that can influence the maximum light intensity underwater?

Yes, there are several other factors that can influence the maximum light intensity underwater. These include water clarity, presence of clouds or other weather conditions, and the location of the water (i.e. near the equator or closer to the poles). Additionally, human activities such as pollution and coastal development can also impact light intensity in the water.

4. How does the angle of the sun's rays affect the maximum light intensity underwater?

The angle of the sun's rays can greatly affect the maximum light intensity underwater. When the sun is directly overhead, the rays have to travel through the shortest distance of water, resulting in a higher light intensity. However, when the sun's angle is lower, such as during sunrise or sunset, the rays have to travel through a longer distance of water, resulting in a lower light intensity.

5. Is there a difference in maximum light intensity between freshwater and saltwater?

Yes, there is a difference in maximum light intensity between freshwater and saltwater. Saltwater tends to have a higher maximum light intensity due to its higher salinity and greater clarity compared to freshwater. However, this can vary depending on the specific location and other factors such as human activities and weather conditions.