Maximum Torque in Dipoles (electrostatics)

In summary: So it's possible that the torque is more maximum at another point, but the maximum rotation will still happen at theta= pi.In summary, the potential energy is zero at theta=pi/2 because the torque is maximum there.
kiwibird4
In a --specifically uniform electric field-- (I may be wrong here) my understanding is that the dipoles will result in no net dipole force (due to cancelling out) but there will actually be a net torque experienced about the center. This torque will be trying to turn the dipole so the moment, p, is parallel to the uniform electric field. From this, we see that the torque is at a maximum when theta equals pi/2, while the potential energy is at a maximum when theta=pi which is 180 degrees from the equilibrium position which is when theta= 0 and torque is 0 there.

I am wondering why (not mathematically but conceptually--I understand the sines equaling zero and cosines equaling zero aspect), if equilibrium position is supposed to be at theta equals 0 due to a net 0 torque here, why theta equals pi would not be considered an equilibrium position since the torque would be zero there as well.

Additionally, I do not quite understand why the potential energy would be zero where the torque is a maximum or theta pi/2 (I understand the mathematical reason ->cos pi/2=0 but not the conceptual reason). Wouldn't there still be some potential energy since the theta=pi/2 position is not in the equilibrium position, so there would still be a torque trying to turn the dipoles parallel to the e field and thus still some potential energy ready to turn into kinetic energy for turning the dipolesSo overall my questions are:::::
(a)why equilibrium position is only considered to be at theta=0 and not theta=pi since both have zero torque and a p parallel to e field
(b)why potential energy is considered to be zero when torque is at a max
(c)why torque's max is pi/2 if the equilibrium position is theta=0 (because then wouldn't the dipole always want to rotate towards the theta=0 position even at theta=pi, having the largest rotation at theta=pi and not theta=pi/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
As I understood from the first question (a)...when we say that theta equals zero that will result in zero torque acting on the rectangular coil( as example) we actually measure the angel between the dipole moment (which is the perpendicular to the coil plane) and the direction of magnetic flux lines so in this case the plane of the coil is actually in 90 dgrees with the direction of magnetic field while the dipole moment is parallel to the magnetic flux lines (zero degrees)

a) theta= pi is also an equilibrium position ( an unstable one). Look it up if you're not familiar with the concept of equilibrium.
b) At theta=pi/2 the potential energy is zero and the torque is maximum. But you should never try to explain things using the value of potential energy at a single point, you should always think about the change in potential energy. The slope of U ( potential energy) tells us about the force ( or torque) on a body.. Try to plot U=-pE*cos(theta) and think about it.
c) It's true that the largest rotation happens from theta=pi ( and not pi/2).. But does that mean that the torque is maximum at theta=pi ? .. Torque is how much ' twist' acts on the body, not how much it rotates..

Likes kiwibird4

1. What is maximum torque in dipoles?

Maximum torque in dipoles is the maximum rotational force experienced by a dipole in an electric field. It is the point at which the dipole is aligned parallel or anti-parallel to the electric field and experiences the maximum torque.

2. How is maximum torque calculated in dipoles?

Maximum torque in dipoles can be calculated using the equation τ = pE sinθ, where τ is the torque, p is the dipole moment, E is the electric field strength, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field.

3. Why is maximum torque important in electrostatics?

Maximum torque is important in electrostatics because it helps us understand the behavior of dipoles in electric fields. It allows us to predict the orientation of a dipole and its response to an electric field, which is crucial in many applications such as electric motors and sensors.

4. Can maximum torque change in dipoles?

Yes, maximum torque in dipoles can change depending on the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the orientation of the dipole. When the dipole is not aligned with the electric field, the torque will be less than the maximum value.

5. How is maximum torque in dipoles related to work and energy?

Maximum torque in dipoles is related to work and energy through the concept of potential energy. The maximum torque occurs when the dipole is in a state of minimum potential energy, and any movement away from this state will require work to be done on the dipole, which in turn results in a change in its potential energy.