Maxwell's Equations and Potentials

In summary, the conversation revolves around using potentials in Maxwell's equations, specifically the Hertz vector potentials, and the potential solutions for different regions with different sources. The use of one potential instead of two is discussed, as well as the gauge invariance of electromagnetics and the importance of understanding it when learning electrodynamics.
Hornbein
I have an understanding of Maxwell's equations and a vague grasp on potentials. I'm trying to do something different with the potentials. I'm using the Feynman Lectures on physics, http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_21.html#mjx-eqn-EqII2113, using the equations an potentials in a box about a third of the way in.

I vaguely understand what they are doing with the potentials and think there might be an easier way. Let's say our scalar potential is defined on a 4-vector of t,x,y,z and our grad operator is defined on that as well. My naive question is, what more information is there? It would seem like this would be enough, since if we have a potential like that then everything the particle does in its past and future is included. That is, the problem is already solved, we are just massaging it into a more useful form.

Anyway, that's the best I can do. If there is something like this, surely it has already been done. So I'm hoping someone knows the name of such a thing, or something of that sort. Another way to look at it is it seems to me there should be someway to use one potential instead of two. Maybe.

Physics news on Phys.org
A third of the way into the box :smile: ? Richard has done his best to number the equations properly ! Where do you think this smart guy does something that can be done easier ?

I'm not sure what you are asking. But it is possible to use one vector potential (with 3 components) instead of one scalar potential and one vector potential that combined have 4 components. The Hertz vector potentials are examples. For example, look in chapter 2, section 2.3.2, of
http://space.fmi.fi/~viljanea/eds2005/

These potentials are sometimes used by electrical engineers, which is where I learned them.

Is this helpful?
jason

Likes vanhees71 and Hornbein
BvU said:
A third of the way into the box :smile: ? Richard has done his best to number the equations properly ! Where do you think this smart guy does something that can be done easier ?

Thanks a lot. buddy. How might I ever properly express my gratitude for your gracious assistance in a time of need?

Likes BvU
jasonRF said:
I'm not sure what you are asking. But it is possible to use one vector potential (with 3 components) instead of one scalar potential and one vector potential that combined have 4 components. The Hertz vector potentials are examples. For example, look in chapter 2, section 2.3.2, of
http://space.fmi.fi/~viljanea/eds2005/

These potentials are sometimes used by electrical engineers, which is where I learned them.

Is this helpful?
jason

Yes, it gives a lot more detail about what those potentials are. I think it just might do it.

In charge-current free regions you can do with two (3D-)scalar Debye potentials. All this freedom is due to the gauge invariance of electromagnetics, which is the most important concept to understand when learning electrodynamics. It's also much simplified by using the relativistic covariant formalism with four-potentials and the Faraday tensor than the old-fashioned 1+3 decomposition. The latter is of course more handy for solving concrete problems.

I thought that Hertzian vectors were valid only in source-free regions.

marcusl said:
I thought that Hertzian vectors were valid only in source-free regions.

Hertz vectors are definitely used in radiation problems with sources - both Sommerfeld and Stratton use them this way, as do other authors. Is that what you were referring to?.
For example, for a potential such that,
[tex]
\mathbf{A} = mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \mathbf{\Pi}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\phi = - \nabla \cdot \mathbf{\Pi}
[/tex]
the retarded potential solution is,
[tex]
\mathbf{\Pi}(\mathbf{r},t) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\int_0^t dt^\prime \, \int \frac{d^3\mathbf{r}^\prime \, \, \mathbf{J}\left(\mathbf{r}^\prime, t^\prime-\left|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}^\prime\right|/c\right)}{ \left|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}^\prime\right|}
[/tex]

jason

EDIT: would be more informative to note
[tex]
\mathbf{E} = \nabla \nabla \cdot \mathbf{\Pi} - \mu_0 \epsilon_0\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial t^2} \mathbf{\Pi}
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{B} = \epsilon_0 \nabla \times \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \mathbf{\Pi}
[/tex]
and,
[tex]
\nabla^2 \mathbf{\Pi} -\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2 }{\partial t^2} \mathbf{\Pi} = -\frac{\mathbf{p}}{\epsilon_0}
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\mathbf{J} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\mathbf{p}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes BvU
Very good, thanks for clarifying this for me.

1. What are Maxwell's equations and potentials?

Maxwell's equations and potentials are a set of four fundamental equations in classical electromagnetism that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are used to explain and predict the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena.

2. What do Maxwell's equations and potentials describe?

Maxwell's equations and potentials describe the relationships between electric and magnetic fields, how they are affected by charges and currents, and how they generate each other. They also describe the propagation of electromagnetic waves and their speed.

3. What are the four equations in Maxwell's equations and potentials?

The four equations in Maxwell's equations and potentials are Gauss's law, which relates electric fields to electric charges; Gauss's law for magnetism, which relates magnetic fields to magnetic charges; Faraday's law, which describes how changing magnetic fields generate electric fields; and Ampere's law, which describes how electric currents generate magnetic fields.

4. What are the electric and magnetic potentials in Maxwell's equations and potentials?

The electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. The magnetic potential is a vector quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in a magnetic field. They are both useful in simplifying the equations and calculations in electromagnetism.

5. How are Maxwell's equations and potentials used in real-world applications?

Maxwell's equations and potentials are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including telecommunications, power generation and distribution, electronic devices, and medical equipment. They are also the basis for the development of technologies such as radio, television, and radar. Their accuracy and predictive power have been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, making them essential for understanding and manipulating electromagnetic phenomena.