MCAT Preparation Question - Solutions

• Thread starter icedoverfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Preparation
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of what the heat of hydration for NaCl must be based on the given reaction and information about Gibbs free energy and entropy. The book claims the answer is D, stating that the heat of hydration could be either positive or negative. The participant rationalizes that the answer should be A, but the book's explanation supports answer D because there is not enough information given to determine the value of the heat of hydration.
icedoverfire
Hi folks,

I'm currently studying for the MCAT. I did register with my MCAT prep book's website but you have to be a part of the class to post in the forums... I can only view the topics and not make posts myself.
I'll be posting MCAT questions from time to time that I feel the book gives unsatisfactory explanations for/explanations I disagree with.

Anyway...The question is as follows:

81. NaCl dissolves spontaneously in water. Based upon the following reaction: NaCl (s) --> Na+(g) + Cl-(g)

deltaH for reaction = +786 kJ/mol

the heat of hydration for NaCl must be:

A. negative with a magnitude less than 786.
B. negative with a magnitude greater than 786.
C. positive with a magnitude greater than 786.
D. Nothing can be determined about the heat of hydration without more information.

I answered A to this question, rationalizing that because the dissolution reaction is spontaneous it must be negative. B and C just seem like silly answers to me.

The book claims the answer is D. Their explanation is as follows:
"The change in entropy is positive in solution formation and Gibbs free energy is negative in a spontaneous reaction. From eqn:

deltaG = deltaHsol - T(deltaS), we see that the heat of solution may be either positive or negative in this case. The heat of hydration is the separation of water molecules (which requires energy) and the formation of bonds between the ions and water molecules (which releases energy). Thus, the value of the heat of hydration could be either positive or negative. The actual heat of hydration is -783 kJ/mol making the heat of solution +3 kJ/mol."

Doesn't their explanation implicitly support answer A? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

-ice

Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing something.

A reaction or process is spontaneous if the value of the Gibbs free energy is negative.
The Gibbs free energy is defined as

delta G = delta H - T(delta S)

You are only given the heat of dissociation. You have two processes... one is dissociation and one is hydration and you know nothing about the corresponding entropy values, so you don't have enough information to say anything about the value of the heat of hydration.

Last edited:
Hmm... so let me see if I understand this:

- We know that the delta G value is some negative number.
- We also know that the overall delta S for the reaction will be some positive number, because entropy will increase in a dissolution.

wait... *lightbulb*

So the deltaH that we get out of the number-crunching for this reaction is really the summed delta H for both dissociation and hydration.

deltaHsol = deltaH of dissociation + deltaH of hydration.

We know the deltaH of dissociation but with what we are given we cannot solve for deltaG and hence have no way of deriving the heat of hydration.

... And we can't solve for deltaG because we know neither temperature nor entropy... and hence can't get deltaH either?

-ice

Yep.

1. How do I create a study schedule for MCAT preparation?

Creating a study schedule for MCAT preparation can seem overwhelming at first, but it is important to break it down into smaller, manageable chunks. Start by setting a goal date for when you want to take the MCAT. Then, determine how much time you have to study each week and divide it into specific study blocks for each subject. Be sure to include breaks and review sessions in your schedule. It is also important to leave some flexibility in case you need to adjust your schedule as you go.

2. What are the best resources for MCAT preparation?

There are numerous resources available for MCAT preparation, including books, online courses, practice tests, and study guides. It is important to choose resources that align with your learning style and focus on the areas where you need the most improvement. Some popular resources include the official AAMC MCAT prep materials, Khan Academy, and UWorld.

3. How often should I take practice tests during MCAT preparation?

Practice tests are an essential part of MCAT preparation as they help you gauge your progress and identify areas that need more focus. It is recommended to take at least one practice test per week, starting around 2-3 months before your test date. As you get closer to the exam, you can increase the frequency to 2-3 tests per week. Be sure to review your mistakes and use them to guide your study plan.

4. Is it necessary to take a prep course for MCAT preparation?

While taking a prep course can be helpful for some students, it is not necessary for everyone. It ultimately depends on your learning style and how well you are able to self-study. Prep courses can be expensive, so it is important to weigh the cost against the potential benefits. Additionally, many resources, such as Khan Academy and UWorld, offer free or affordable options for MCAT preparation.

5. How can I improve my critical thinking and reasoning skills for the MCAT?

The MCAT heavily tests critical thinking and reasoning skills, so it is important to dedicate time to improving these skills. One way to do this is by practicing with MCAT-style questions and passages. You can also work on developing a systematic approach to problem-solving and actively reading and analyzing passages. Additionally, regularly reviewing the reasoning behind your mistakes on practice tests can help you identify any weaknesses and improve your critical thinking skills.