MCNP 6.2: Fission Product Recoil/Transport

In summary, according to the author, recoil FPs may not be transported through a gas filled detector due to a problem with MCNP6.2. However, other codes may be able to transport the recoil FPs.
TheNE
TL;DR Summary
Does MCNP 6.2 produce recoil fission products (capable of transport)?
I am trying to simulate fission product ejection from thin fissile films in gas filled detectors (fission chamber). Does MCNP 6.2 produce recoil fission products that will be transported through the system?

I have enabled "heavy ion physics" (#), tried options 3 and 5 for NCIA on the neutron physics card, tried KCODE, BURN, and nothing seems to transport the fission products in my problem (measured with a F4:# tally in a void immediately beyond the fissile mass).

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance with this.

MCNP INPUT

c test for fp production and subsequent transport
c cell cards
1 1 -19 -10 VOL=523.6 imp:n=1 imp:#=1
2 0 -11 10 imp:n=1 imp:#=1
3 0 11 imp:n=0 imp:#=0

c surface cards
10 so 5
11 so 10
12 so 15

c data cards
c SDEF ERG=2.5E-6 PAR=1 POS= 6 0 0
c NPS 5E6
KCODE 1E6 0.4 0 10
KSRC 4.9 0 0
c BURN TIME=10 MAT=1 POWER=1
MODE N # P
PHYS:N 100 0 0 j j j 5 -1 j j j 0 0
MPHYS ON
c U-235 / rho=19g/cc
m1 92235 1
c ===================================
F14:# 2
F24:# 1
F34:P 2

Engineering news on Phys.org
LANL coupled MCNPX into their MCNP6 release, including heavy ion transport - but I am dumbfounded on why a "simple" problem is not producing recoil FPs. NCIA, KCODE, and BURN don't even sample recoil KEs for the FPs. It is especially odd, in that the ENDF libraries include all the data to perform this sampling.

Thank you for your $0.02 though, Astronuc. I'll have to compare ion ranges from MCNP to SRIM sometime.

Satriani all the way.

TheNE said:
a "simple" problem is not producing recoil FPs.
I don't believe the problem of "simulate fission product ejection from thin fissile films" is so simple. Firstly, one would have to track the fission product through the fissile material layer, then track the range in the gas, and possibly into the other solid surface.

There are two groups of fission products, one light (primarily A: 90-101) and the other heavy (A: 143-132). The light atoms have a longer range (4-6 microns) in UO2, while the heavier atoms have a shorter range 3-5 microns. The ranges would be slightly lower in U-metal.

Some common fp pairs (with 2 prompt neutrons) for fission of U-235 (U-236* upon n-capture) based on fission yield (fy) are:

34-Se-86 + 58-Ce-148, fy = 0.012
38-Sr-97, 96, 95, 94 + 54-Xe-137, 138, 139, 140 fy = 0.0319, 0.0481, 0.0432, 0.0351
39-Y-99,97 + 53-I-135, 137 fy = 0.0293, 0.0262
40-Zr-100 + 52-Te-134, fy = 0.0622, most probable
41-Nb-101 + 51-Sb-133, fy = 0.0226

Of course there are other reactions, since we look for Kr-85, Kr-87 and Kr-88, as well as Xe-133, Xe-135 and Xe-138 (as well as I-131 through I-135), when failure fuel is present.

Then one would have to consider which of the two fps escapes for a given fission reaction. One could have a fission reaction in which both fp stay within the fissile coating, especially if both track parallel to the surface, or are more than ~ 6 microns below the surface, and one could have U atoms (or other fps) being knocked out of the surface.

The total kinetic energy of both fps is about 168 MeV, so less then 0.72 MeV/nucleon.

And of course, various nuclei are produced by n-capture or beta decay during service life.

1. What is MCNP 6.2: Fission Product Recoil/Transport?

MCNP 6.2 is a Monte Carlo N-Particle transport code that is used for simulating particle transport and interactions in complex systems. The Fission Product Recoil/Transport feature allows for the simulation of fission product recoil and transport in nuclear systems.

2. How does MCNP 6.2 simulate fission product recoil and transport?

MCNP 6.2 uses a Monte Carlo method, which involves randomly sampling the physical parameters of a system to simulate the behavior of particles. In the case of fission product recoil and transport, MCNP 6.2 simulates the interactions of fission products with the surrounding materials and calculates their trajectories.

3. What types of systems can be simulated using MCNP 6.2: Fission Product Recoil/Transport?

MCNP 6.2 can be used to simulate a wide range of nuclear systems, including reactors, fuel cycles, and waste management facilities. It can also be used to study the transport of fission products in geological formations and materials used for nuclear waste disposal.

4. How accurate is MCNP 6.2 in simulating fission product recoil and transport?

MCNP 6.2 has been extensively benchmarked and validated against experimental data, and has been found to provide accurate results for a variety of nuclear systems. However, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and the complexity of the system being simulated.

5. What are some practical applications of MCNP 6.2: Fission Product Recoil/Transport?

MCNP 6.2 can be used in the design and safety analysis of nuclear reactors, as well as in the development of new nuclear technologies and materials. It can also be used to study the behavior of fission products in the environment and to assess the potential risks associated with nuclear waste disposal.