MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file?

In summary, the input file does not use lattices and the pin diameters are slightly different. Changing the universe fill to universe 1 fixes the geometry errors.
Islam Nabil
TL;DR Summary
There is an input file of a simple lattice 16 x 16 fuel assembly. I have a message blocking the run of the code; bad trouble in subroutine newcel of mcrun source particle no 1 random number 6647299061401 zero lattice element hit. what is the wrong?
There is an input file for a simple 16 x 16 lattice fuel assembly. I have a message blocking the run of the code;
"bad trouble in subroutine newcel of mcrun source particle no 1 random number 6647299061401 zero lattice element hit."
What is wrong?

Attachments

• latice k code 16 16 no center cylinder.Txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is an error somewhere in the geometry definition. If you change the filename of the input file to add .txt you can attach it to a post we can have a look at it.

If you can't share the input file you could try to debug it by plotting the geometry, but our help becomes very indirect.

Alex A said:
There is an error somewhere in the geometry definition. If you change the filename of the input file to add .txt you can attach it to a post we can have a look at it.

If you can't share the input file you could try to debug it by plotting the geometry, but our help becomes very indirect.
Upload the txt file ...

Attachments

• Laaty.Txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 90
Yes, if you click the button 'Attach files' you can find the file, if the name ends .txt

Alex A said:
Yes, if you click the button 'Attach files' you can find the file, if the name ends .txt
Already uploaded

Alex A said:
Name changed

Sorry, maybe I needed to refresh the page or maybe I did not look at the first post!

Your lattice has universe 0 fills. I have not seen that before. You are cutting that out of the rpp being filled. Ok.

I did mcnp ip inp=file
Clicked to enter a command into the plot window and did,
pz 0
To see a cross section through the middle. Most fuel element positions are undefined. It will take me some time to look at this.

Firstly your lattice is xz instead of xy.
fill=-8:9 -9:8 0:0
not
fill=-8:9 0:0 -9:8

Secondly the 0 universe fill is creating a space outside your (cooling?) tubes that is not defined. Changing the universe 0 entries to universe 1 fixes that. That is the usual way to create a 'background' cell, refer the lattice universe to itself. I don't see any other problems at the moment. The geometry errors seem to have gone and the input file now runs a kcode.

Attachments

• latk2.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 91
Alex A said:
Firstly your lattice is xz instead of xy.
fill=-8:9 -9:8 0:0
not
fill=-8:9 0:0 -9:8

Secondly the 0 universe fill is creating a space outside your (cooling?) tubes that is not defined. Changing the universe 0 entries to universe 1 fixes that. That is the usual way to create a 'background' cell, refer the lattice universe to itself. I don't see any other problems at the moment. The geometry errors seem to have gone and the input file now runs a kcode.
Thank you, thank you very much, Doctor... The problem has already been resolved... Thank you...

Likes Alex A
I'm not sure what your final objectives are, but this assembly is at room temperature.
I've attached an input for a 16x16 case that uses a fuel temperature of 900 K and all other
temperatures are set at 600 K.

Unfortunately, this doesn't use lattices and the pin diameters are slightly different from what you have.

Attachments

• ce16-1.mcnp.txt
    41.6 KB · Views: 116
  • ce16-1.png
    ce16-1.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 81
Likes Islam Nabil and Alex A
rpp said:
I'm not sure what your final objectives are, but this assembly is at room temperature.
I've attached an input for a 16x16 case that uses a fuel temperature of 900 K and all other
temperatures are set at 600 K.

Unfortunately, this doesn't use lattices and the pin diameters are slightly different from what you have.
Thanks a lot doctor... King regards

1. What is an MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file?

The MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles through a nuclear reactor fuel assembly. It is a detailed model that includes the geometry, materials, and boundary conditions of the fuel assembly.

2. How is the MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file created?

The MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file is typically created using a combination of computer-aided design (CAD) software and MCNP-specific input file commands. The CAD software is used to create the geometry of the fuel assembly, while the MCNP input file commands specify the materials and boundary conditions.

3. What information is needed to create an MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file?

To create an MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file, you will need information such as the dimensions and materials of the fuel assembly, as well as any surrounding structures or materials that may affect the transport of particles through the assembly. You will also need to specify the type of particles being simulated and the desired level of detail in the simulation.

4. What are the advantages of using the MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file?

The MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file allows for a highly detailed and accurate simulation of particle transport through a nuclear reactor fuel assembly. It can be used to analyze various scenarios and conditions, such as different materials or geometries, and can provide valuable insights for reactor design and safety.

5. Are there any limitations to the MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file?

While the MCNP lattice of the fuel assembly input file is a powerful tool for simulating particle transport through a fuel assembly, it does have some limitations. It requires a significant amount of computational resources and expertise to create and run the simulation, and it may not be suitable for all types of simulations or scenarios.