MCNP - z-coordinates of cylindrical mesh >0?

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a cylindrical coordinate in a reactor channel using MCNP6.2. The user encountered a fatal error message when attempting to set up a cylindrical FMESH with the origin on the z-axis at the bottom of the channel. The error message stated that z-coordinates of cylindrical mesh tally must be greater than zero, and the user asks if there is a workaround for this. The issue was eventually solved by adjusting the value of jmesh to be positive in the cylindrical mesh. The conversation ends with a suggestion to choose the axis direction in the desired direction for the desired effect.
19matthew89
TL;DR Summary
z-coordinates of cylindrical mesh tally must be greater than zero?
Hi everyone,

I am using MCNP6.2 and trying to set up a cylindrical coordinate in a reactor channel. The origin as the midplane of the channel.

In my attempt of setting up a cylindrical FMESH with the origin on the z-axis at the bottom of the channel (so z<0) I got this fatal error message: "z-coordinates of cylindrical mesh tally must be greater than zero"!!!
Is it really like that? Do the cylindrical meshes really only work the z>0 halfspace?
Is there a workaround (like a transformation) that could be used? As it says that z-coordinates have to be positive it doesn't even work putting the origin at the top of the channel.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
EDIT: Problem solved

I am writing here as I solved the issue and it might be useful for someone else.

In the cylindrical mesh, the value of jmesh have to be positive! The description in the manual is misleading as it says:

"Locations of the coarse mesh points in the y direction for rectangular geometry or in the z direction for cylindrical geometry"

so you might expect it's the position of the coarse meh point expressed with respect to the original system of reference but actually no! It refers to the cylindrical system of reference of the mesh itself and since the origin has to be considered at the bottom of the mesh, the z can consequently only be positive.

I hope it helps in case.

• Informative
Likes Grelbr42, berkeman and Alex A
If I am not mistaken, you can get the effect you want by choosing the axis to be in the direction you need. So if you point your axis in the -ve z direction, then choose the intervals in the +ve sense of that vector, you get what you need.

1. What is MCNP?

MCNP stands for Monte Carlo N-Particle. It is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles through matter. It is commonly used in the field of nuclear engineering and radiation physics.

2. What does the z-coordinate represent in a cylindrical mesh?

The z-coordinate in a cylindrical mesh represents the vertical position of a point within the mesh. It is typically measured in units of length, such as centimeters or meters.

3. Why is the z-coordinate important in MCNP simulations?

The z-coordinate is important in MCNP simulations because it allows for the accurate representation of cylindrical geometries, which are commonly encountered in nuclear engineering and radiation physics applications. It also helps to determine the position of particles within the simulation and their interactions with the surrounding material.

4. How are z-coordinates determined in MCNP simulations?

Z-coordinates in MCNP simulations are typically determined by the user, who defines the geometry of the simulation and assigns coordinates to different points within the mesh. These coordinates can also be automatically generated by the code based on the specified geometry.

5. What does a z-coordinate of >0 indicate in a cylindrical mesh?

A z-coordinate of >0 in a cylindrical mesh indicates that the point is located above the origin point, which is typically the center of the cylinder. This is important for accurately defining the position of particles within the simulation and their interactions with the surrounding material.