MCNP6.2 - How to plot normalized tallies with MCNP6.2?

In summary, the conversation discusses using MCNP to plot tallies and the possibility of using a tool like python or matlab for this purpose. It is suggested to use the FM multiplier subcard in the input program to directly process the data and plot it. There is a question about whether the FM card can take in a continuously updated parameter like k_eff or only a constant.
19matthew89
TL;DR Summary
Newbie with MCNP here: how to plot (normalized tallies)?
Hi everyone,
I'm really new to MCNP here and I'm "playing" around trying to understand what is going on.

I'd like to plot my tallies (F2, F4 and F6). Is there any tool (e.g. python or matlab package) you recommend?

I know that the internal plot MCPLOT is available but I'm wondering how you normalize the tallies there. In a postprocess data treatment you'd multiply, for instance the F4 tallies, times nu power and divide by energy per fission and k_eff. But I was wondering, can you have that done by MCPLOT so to properly plot the "real" tally?

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps you can try to use the FM multiplier subcard in the input program to process the data directly, then plot.

Hi,
Yeah. I had thought of that. But as you need to divide by the k_eff which is found in the code itself, can you feed in the FM card a parameter like the k_eff which is continuously updated? Or can you only multiply by a constant?

1. How do I access the plotting function in MCNP6.2?

To plot normalized tallies in MCNP6.2, you will need to use the MCNPLOT code, which is included in the MCNP6.2 distribution. This code can be accessed through the command prompt or by using the graphical user interface (GUI).

2. What are normalized tallies in MCNP6.2?

Normalized tallies in MCNP6.2 refer to the process of scaling tally results to a common value, typically the total number of particles simulated. This allows for easier comparison between different tally results and eliminates the influence of the number of particles simulated on the results.

3. How do I specify which tallies to plot in MCNP6.2?

To specify which tallies to plot in MCNP6.2, you will need to use the MCNPLOT input file. This file allows you to specify the tally numbers, plot type, and other parameters for the desired tallies.

4. Can I customize the plot appearance in MCNP6.2?

Yes, you can customize the plot appearance in MCNP6.2 by using the MCNPLOT input file. This file allows you to specify the plot type, axis labels, and other parameters to create a customized plot.

5. Are there any limitations to plotting normalized tallies in MCNP6.2?

One limitation of plotting normalized tallies in MCNP6.2 is that the MCNPLOT code only supports 2D plots. Additionally, the MCNPLOT code cannot plot tallies that have been normalized to a value other than the total number of particles simulated.