MCNP6.2 - SDEF position related keywords

• Thread starter 19matthew89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary: The comment in the manual is that none of the position-related keywords (i.e., CEL, SUR, RAD, AXS, EXT, X, Y, Z, and CCC) can be a dependent distribution of POS. This means that expressions like "EXT=FPOS=D1" or "RAD=FPOS=D1" are not legit. However, there are examples of this use. For instance in the example 10 (paragraph 5.8.6..10 at page 402) of the manual, the source is defined as SDEF PAR=SF CEL=D1 POS=D2 RAD=FPOS=D3.
19matthew89
TL;DR Summary
It's unclear whether SDEF position related keywords could be dependent on POS
Hi everyone,

I have started delving into the "nightmare" of source definition and in my opinion, the MCNP manual here sounds even more cryptic and obscure than in other sections.

By the way, I have a question related what is reported in paragraph 5.8.1 of the MCNP® Code Version 6.3.0 Theory & User Manual. It says:
"None of the position-related keywords (i.e., CEL, SUR, RAD, AXS, EXT, X, Y, Z, and CCC) can be a dependent distribution of POS."
So from what I understand, none of the position-related keyword could be defined as dependent on POS, so namely expressions like "EXT=FPOS=D1" or "RAD=FPOS=D1" are not legit.

However, there are examples of this use.

For instance in the manual itself: the Example 10 (paragraph 5.8.6..10 at page 402) defines the source as
Code:
SDEF PAR=SF CEL=D1 POS=D2 RAD=FPOS=D3

So, according to your experience, is the command allowed and works? I ask because, I plan to define a pretty complicated surface source and at the moment the most intuitive way of defining it would be exactly via a FPOS.

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
My suggestion is to give it a whirl and use ptrac to see where the first thousand or so particles are created. Maybe you don't have to use the complete complicated source you intend for your final situation, just enough to demo that it will or will not work as you need.

Likes 19matthew89 and Alex A
@19matthew89
yes you can use Fpos with MCNP "parameters depend of the position"
for example you want to simulate a source whose energy depends on the position you can write:

sdef pos=d1 par=p erg=fpos=d2
si1 L 0 0 0 0 0 10
sp1 1 1
DS2 S 3 4 $ energy is function of position
SI3 L 1.17 1.33 $ in (0,0,0) energy= 1.17 and 1.33 MeV
SP3 1 1
SI4 L .511 $ in (0,0,10) energy=511 keV
SP4 1

It is a simple example. You can imagine fpos for rad, cel, ...
hope your supervisor is ok with that :wink:

• Informative
Likes 19matthew89
PSRB191921 said:
@19matthew89
yes you can use Fpos with MCNP "parameters depend of the position"
for example you want to simulate a source whose energy depends on the position you can write:

sdef pos=d1 par=p erg=fpos=d2
si1 L 0 0 0 0 0 10
sp1 1 1
DS2 S 3 4 $ energy is function of position
SI3 L 1.17 1.33 $ in (0,0,0) energy= 1.17 and 1.33 MeV
SP3 1 1
SI4 L .511 $ in (0,0,10) energy=511 keV
SP4 1

It is a simple example. You can imagine fpos for rad, cel, ...
hope your supervisor is ok with that :wink:
Thanks a lot! I will try it straightaway!
I'll check anyway the origin of particles via the Table 110 to be sure!
Absolutely...my supervisor is totally ok with that ;)

So...what about the comment in the manual then? What does it mean?
I ask also because, poring over the topic, I found this paper too (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306454907001788) where the author caustically complains (section 3 and 4) that FPOS is misbehaving and not working.

1. What is MCNP6.2?

MCNP6.2 is a computer code used for simulating and analyzing the transport of particles through matter. It is commonly used in nuclear engineering, medical physics, and other fields that involve radiation.

2. What does SDEF stand for in MCNP6.2?

SDEF stands for Surface or Source Definition. It is a keyword used in MCNP6.2 to specify the position and properties of a particle source or surface boundary.

3. How do I specify the position of a particle source in MCNP6.2 using the SDEF keyword?

To specify the position of a particle source using the SDEF keyword, you will need to provide the coordinates of the source in three dimensions (x, y, z) as well as the direction of emission. This can be done using the SDEF card in the MCNP6.2 input file.

4. Can the SDEF keyword be used for both surface and volume sources in MCNP6.2?

Yes, the SDEF keyword can be used for both surface and volume sources in MCNP6.2. For surface sources, the SDEF keyword defines the position and orientation of the source surface. For volume sources, it defines the position and direction of emission for each particle.

5. Are there any limitations to using the SDEF keyword in MCNP6.2?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the SDEF keyword in MCNP6.2. For example, it cannot be used to define a source inside a void region or to define a source with a specific energy spectrum. In these cases, other keywords or methods must be used.