MCNP6 simulation still running but no change for a while

In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of the MCNP program not running the "predictor" and "corrector" steps. The individual has already put in a lot of effort to get the final value of Keff, but the program is still running and there is no update for the corrector. It is suggested that the problem could be due to insufficient memory or errors in the input file. The individual is advised to increase the RAM or check for any unnecessary files that may be causing the memory to become full. It is also recommended to reach out to the developers of the program for further assistance.
tysonman166
TL;DR Summary
Hi! its me again, so sorry for the many question. So after previous thread finally i can run my inputs.
tl;dr
MCNP still running but the program havent update any new information
After previous thread my program finally work and i could get the Keff final. But problem rises when MCNP want to do "predictor" and "corrector". I already wait for 3 hours but there is no update for the corrector (screenshot attached).
1657550741802.png

heres the profof that my program still running:
1657550795644.png

and in the output file there's none of line said "mcrun done" or the amount of time for the program to run
1657550865508.png

My friends said there could be a lot of runtype file that makes the memory full but when i check there's only one!
Anyone ever faced this kind of problem?

Attachments

• 1657550721057.png
    1657550721057.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 113
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is possible that the memory of your computer is not sufficient to run the MCNP program. You should try increasing the RAM in your computer and see if that helps. It is also possible that the problem lies in the input file you are using. Make sure that the input file is free from any errors and does not contain any unnecessary data. If the problem persists, you may need to contact the developers of MCNP for further assistance.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you are facing this issue with your program. It can be frustrating when things don't work as expected, especially after putting in a lot of effort to get the Keff final.

From the screenshot you attached, it looks like the program is still running and there is no update for the corrector. Have you tried waiting for a longer period of time to see if the corrector eventually runs? Sometimes, these processes can take a while to complete.

It's also possible that there could be an issue with the runtype file or other files causing the memory to become full. Have you tried checking the memory usage while the program is running? If it is full, you may need to free up some space or increase the memory allocation for the program.

I have not personally faced this specific problem before, but I would suggest reaching out to the developers of the program for further assistance. They may be able to provide more insight or guidance on how to troubleshoot this issue.

I hope you are able to resolve this problem and successfully complete the predictor and corrector steps. Good luck!

1. Why is my MCNP6 simulation taking so long to run?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that your simulation is complex and requires a lot of computational resources. Another possibility is that your computer or server is running other processes that are slowing down the simulation. Additionally, the convergence criteria for your simulation may be set too strict, causing it to take longer to reach a solution.

2. How long should I expect my MCNP6 simulation to run?

The duration of an MCNP6 simulation depends on various factors such as the complexity of the problem, the number of particles being simulated, and the computational resources available. It is difficult to give an exact time frame, but simulations can range from a few minutes to several hours or even days.

3. My MCNP6 simulation has been running for a long time with no changes. Is it stuck?

It is possible that your simulation has encountered a problem or has reached a point where it cannot progress further. However, it is also possible that the simulation is still running and is just taking longer than expected due to the reasons mentioned earlier. It is recommended to monitor the simulation and check for any error messages or warnings.

4. Can I speed up my MCNP6 simulation?

There are a few ways to potentially speed up your MCNP6 simulation. One option is to optimize your input file by simplifying the geometry or reducing the number of particles being simulated. You can also try running the simulation on a computer or server with better computational resources. Additionally, adjusting the convergence criteria or using parallel processing can also help speed up the simulation.

5. Should I stop my MCNP6 simulation if it is taking too long?

It is generally not recommended to stop an MCNP6 simulation unless it has been running for an excessively long time or has encountered an error. Stopping the simulation prematurely can result in inaccurate results. If you are concerned about the duration of your simulation, it is best to monitor its progress and make adjustments as needed rather than stopping it abruptly.