MCQ: Genetics- Recombination in Drosophila

In summary, the recombinant gametes have the same chances of occurrence as their counterparts from non-recombination.
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
The given answer to this question is (2)
Relevant Equations
NA
Q3zsmuuLirK-Td2ZcXR7mWa0k&_nc_ht=scontent.fccu13-1.jpg

Here (A) is a product of recombination between a-&-b, (B) is a product of recombination between b-&-c and (C) a parent

1. If 1000 is the total number of progenies, then 10% of it is 100 (A), 5% is 50 (B) and the rest should be <850 because the other parent has not been included. So I reject 1.
2. Here the total is 500, maybe they have considered the other P to be 500.
3. Not possible because for the given total (B) cannot be more than 50.
4. Similarly, it cannot be 425 either.

So I have to go back to 2. if we take to total population as 500, it is correct, but the total pop is not 500?!

I'm very confused about the concept, please guide me. Also, tell me if there's a simpler or shorter way to arrive at the correct answer.

SS141

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a crossover between a&b, you will produce two different chromatids, a+/b/c+ and a/b+/c, and each chromatid will have equal probability of being inherited. In the test cross, 50 would inherit a+/b/c+ and 50 would inherit a/b+/c.

Likes sysprog and jim mcnamara
Ygggdrasil said:
... two different chromatids, a+/b/c+ and a/b+/c, and each chromatid will have equal probability of being inherited. In the test cross, 50 would inherit a+/b/c+ and 50 would inherit a/b+/c.

But doesn't the ratio 1:1 hold true for independently assorting gene combinations/genotypes? For linked genes, recombinant genotypes are rare and the parental ones are frequent.

Try drawing out the possible gametes that can be produced by the F1 individual and assigning probabilities to each of the six possible gamete genotypes.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 1.18.46 AM.jpeg

I'm not sure if I'm right. Please help.

You've correctly listed out the possible gametes. Now, for each individual gamete's genotype (e.g. a+/b+/c), what is the probability?

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-01 at 1.01.24 AM.jpeg

# SC_ab= Single crossover between a & b

The math here disagrees with the math above. In your previous post, you correctly said that the two parental genotypes sum to 85%, but here your two parental genotypes sum to 70%.

I agree, my recent calculation contradicts the previous one. I think 70% makes more sense. Because in the question though they have provided only one genotype from each crossover type, the chances of occurrence of both the genotypes should be equal, P(a/b+/c)=P(a+/b/c+)=10%.

Here's how I approach the problem:
Picture1.png

Likes jim mcnamara and sysprog
Ygggdrasil said:
View attachment 263835
What tool(s) did you use to make the nice tree drawing?

Ygggdrasil said:
View attachment 263835
Okay, I got this.
So the gametes arising out of non-recombination and recombination have the same chances of occurrence as its counterpart. The sum of the frequencies of a pair of recombinant gametes is the distance between them in map units.

Thank you. Thank you so much.

1. What is recombination in Drosophila?

Recombination in Drosophila is the process by which genetic material is exchanged between homologous chromosomes during meiosis. This results in new combinations of alleles, which can lead to genetic variation within a population.

2. How is recombination measured in Drosophila?

Recombination in Drosophila is measured using a genetic map, which is a diagram that shows the relative positions of genes on a chromosome. The distance between genes on the map is proportional to the frequency of recombination events between them.

3. What is the significance of recombination in Drosophila?

Recombination in Drosophila plays a crucial role in generating genetic diversity within a population. It allows for the creation of new combinations of alleles, which can lead to the evolution of new traits and increased adaptability to changing environments.

4. How does recombination differ between male and female Drosophila?

In Drosophila, recombination occurs more frequently in females than in males. This is because females have two X chromosomes, while males have one X and one Y chromosome. The X chromosomes in females can undergo recombination, while the Y chromosome in males does not have a homologous partner for recombination.

5. Can recombination in Drosophila be manipulated?

Yes, recombination in Drosophila can be manipulated through various genetic techniques, such as crossing over and gene editing. These techniques allow for the targeted introduction of specific genetic variations, which can be useful in studying the effects of genetic changes on traits and evolutionary processes.