MCQ- Insertion of a protein into a liposome membrane

In summary: Well, they tend to repel each other and as a result, they’d be less likely to interact with one another and help reconstitute the protein. So, in summary, I think that the C-terminal with its lack of a positive charge would be less likely to interact with the bilayer and help reconstitute the protein.
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
-
Relevant Equations
-
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-18 at 11.35.48 PM.jpeg

Please give me clues as to how to solve this question.

The answer provided is (c).

Physics news on Phys.org
SanjuktaGhosh said:
Homework Statement:: -
Relevant Equations:: -

View attachment 264821

Please give me clues as to how to solve this question.

The answer provided is (c).
You've been at the PF long enough to know that you have to show some effort. Since "Relevant Equations" doesn't apply to this type of question, how about you define all of the terms in this question? Then tell us your initial thoughts on how to figure this out...

Likes jim mcnamara
I'm sorry to have broken the code, but it is true that I'm clueless. Okay...I'll still try writing something.
What could reconstitution mean in this context? A protein in a solution with liposomes trying to incorporate itself into their membrane?
Now that I know the correct option and if I think backwards, having the positive charge removed will be beneficial to incorporate the protein. Because lipid bilayer is not permeable to charged species, so a neutral C-terminal followed by a hydrophilic region will easily enter into the membrane.
Am I right?

Proteins are usually purified by precipitation followed by a dissolution step that is referred to as reconstitution. I think it implies not just solubility but a reconstitution of the protein’s 3 dimensional shape in solution.

Likes TytoAlba95
SanjuktaGhosh said:
I'm sorry to have broken the code, but it is true that I'm clueless. Okay...I'll still try writing something.
What could reconstitution mean in this context? A protein in a solution with liposomes trying to incorporate itself into their membrane?
Now that I know the correct option and if I think backwards, having the positive charge removed will be beneficial to incorporate the protein. Because lipid bilayer is not permeable to charged species, so a neutral C-terminal followed by a hydrophilic region will easily enter into the membrane.
Am I right?
I agree with your answer to a point. The generic schematic of the vesicle bilayer doesn’t allow us to make a sweeping generalization that substitution of a neutral endgroup for the positive endgroup would result in a better reconstitution (meaning a return of protein’s activity here). If we consider the bilayer is composed of DOPC, the most prevalent lipid bilayer component found in animal systems, you will notice the headgroup is positively charged.

And what do we know about like charges?

1. How does insertion of a protein into a liposome membrane work?

The process of inserting a protein into a liposome membrane involves first creating a liposome, which is a small spherical vesicle made of lipids. The protein is then mixed with the liposome and through a process called reconstitution, the protein is inserted into the liposome membrane. This can occur spontaneously or with the help of specialized proteins called transmembrane proteins.

2. What is the purpose of inserting a protein into a liposome membrane?

Insertion of a protein into a liposome membrane can serve various purposes, such as creating a model system for studying cell membranes, delivering drugs or genetic material into cells, or creating artificial cells for biotechnological applications.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of protein insertion into a liposome membrane?

The efficiency of protein insertion into a liposome membrane can be affected by factors such as the size and composition of the liposome, the type and properties of the protein being inserted, and the method of insertion used.

4. Can any type of protein be inserted into a liposome membrane?

No, not all proteins can be inserted into a liposome membrane. Only proteins that have a specific structure and properties, such as transmembrane proteins or amphipathic proteins, can be successfully inserted into the liposome membrane.

5. Are there any risks associated with inserting a protein into a liposome membrane?

Generally, there are no significant risks associated with inserting a protein into a liposome membrane. However, if the protein being inserted is toxic or harmful, there may be potential risks associated with its use in certain applications.