Meaning of "selling war surplus groceries" in historical text

• Thread starter askingquestion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    meaning
askingquestion
I know that surplus is extra.

What is the meaning of it in the text below:
Jack Cohen realized in 1919 that he could profits from selling war surplus groceries and, in fact, Cohen started from a stall in East End of London. Tesco as a brand did not appear until 1924, when Cohen bought from T.E. Stockwell a shipment of tea, which was its first own-brand product.

From the document (in section 2 after the title "HISTORY OF TESCO PLT":
https://accid.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Case-Tesco-PLCformatv.pdf

Science news on Phys.org
"War surplus groceries" would be non-perishable items that were used to feed the British soldiers during WW I. I suppose this would include various canned foods or things like dried beans and such.

• Informative
Likes e_jane and askingquestion
World War I created shortages. Britain began rationing in 1918. Rationing often results in (or indeed requires) that supplies be set aside for possible future demand. Thus the surplus in food supplies, where said surplus resulted from rationing caused by the Great War.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What does "selling war surplus groceries" mean in historical text?

"Selling war surplus groceries" refers to the process of selling excess food supplies that were acquired during a war. These supplies were often leftover from military rations or were purchased in bulk for the war effort and then sold to the public after the war ended.

2. Why were war surplus groceries sold?

War surplus groceries were sold in order to recoup some of the costs of acquiring and storing the excess food supplies during the war. It also helped to reduce the surplus and prevent waste.

3. Who sold war surplus groceries?

In most cases, the government or military was responsible for selling war surplus groceries. However, private companies were also involved in the process, either by purchasing the surplus from the government or by directly selling to the public.

4. What types of food were sold as war surplus groceries?

The types of food sold as war surplus groceries varied, but they often included canned goods, dried foods, and other non-perishable items. These were items that could withstand long periods of storage and transportation.

5. How were war surplus groceries sold?

War surplus groceries were typically sold through auctions, direct sales, or through government-run stores. Some items may have also been sold to wholesalers or retailers who then sold them to the public.

Back