Measurable consequences of entropy of mixing

In summary, textbooks include an example of entropy of mixing that involves removing a partition between two (in principle) distinguishable gases, and compare this to the case where the two gases are indistinguishable. The entropy of mixing is greater for the case where the gases are indistinguishable, and this additional entropy has unknown consequences for the distinguishable case.
crossword.bob
Most textbooks include an example of entropy of mixing that involves removing a partition between two (in principle) distinguishable gases, and compare this to the case where the two gases are indistinguishable. What I’ve not yet been able to figure out is what the consequences of this additional entropy are for the distinguishable case.

Say you are given two cylinders; one filled with a pure gas, and the other a mixture of two distinguishable (in principle) particles. Is there a macroscopic experiment you could perform to determine which is which, without knowing how the distinguishable particle types actually differ from each other? Do (for example) heat capacities depend on total entropy, so that one could measure temperature versus heat input for each cylinder?

Science news on Phys.org
No, you need some means to tell the two gasses apart, e.g. a semipermeable membrane, different molecular weight, so they can be separated.

crossword.bob said:
Most textbooks include an example of entropy of mixing that involves removing a partition between two (in principle) distinguishable gases, and compare this to the case where the two gases are indistinguishable. What I’ve not yet been able to figure out is what the consequences of this additional entropy are for the distinguishable case.

Say you are given two cylinders; one filled with a pure gas, and the other a mixture of two distinguishable (in principle) particles. Is there a macroscopic experiment you could perform to determine which is which, without knowing how the distinguishable particle types actually differ from each other? Do (for example) heat capacities depend on total entropy, so that one could measure temperature versus heat input for each cylinder?

The solution of Gibbs' paradox (which is the experiment you describe) consists of assigning entropy to *information*- information about distinguish-ability, for example.

http://bayes.wustl.edu/etj/articles/gibbs.paradox.pdf

Likes crossword.bob and Stephen Tashi
Thanks, that helps. I suspect it will take a little time for me to fully digest that paper, but there is some solace is knowing the problem that’s been bothering me has bothered better minds than mine in the past!

1. What is entropy of mixing?

Entropy of mixing is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system when two or more substances are mixed together.

2. How is entropy of mixing measured?

Entropy of mixing is typically measured using the equation ΔSmix = -R(Σnixi ln xi), where R is the gas constant, ni is the number of moles of each component, and xi is the mole fraction of each component.

3. What are the measurable consequences of entropy of mixing?

The measurable consequences of entropy of mixing include changes in the physical properties of a system, such as changes in temperature, pressure, and volume, as well as changes in the chemical potential and free energy of the system.

4. How does entropy of mixing affect chemical reactions?

Entropy of mixing can affect chemical reactions by altering the equilibrium conditions and reaction rates. In some cases, mixing two substances can increase the entropy of the system, making the reaction more favorable, while in other cases it can decrease entropy and make the reaction less favorable.

5. Can entropy of mixing be reversed?

No, entropy of mixing is an irreversible process. Once substances are mixed together, the resulting increase in disorder cannot be reversed without the input of energy.