Measurable Function (Another Question)

In summary, the first question asks if a measurable function f from real numbers to real numbers and a measurable set E subset of real numbers implies that f(E) is measurable. The answer is no, as shown by a counter-example provided in this conversation. For the second question, assuming f is continuous, the answer is yes. However, the intuition for the counter-example in the first question does not apply here.
TheBigBadBen
Is it true that if \(\displaystyle f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}\) is a measurable function and \(\displaystyle E\subset\mathbb{R}\) is measurable, then \(\displaystyle f(E)\) is measurable? What if f is assumed to be continuous?

I think that the answer is no for the first and yes for the second, but I have no idea how to prove/disprove either.

Physics news on Phys.org
girdav said:
Indeed, for the first question the answer is no: real analysis - Range of function measurable? - Mathematics Stack Exchange

For the second one, the range of $\Bbb R$ of a continuous function is connected. What are the connected subsets of the real line? Are they measurable?

As it ends up, my intuition for the second problem was totally off. In fact, the counterexample handily provided for my other question
http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f50/measurable-function-4789/
does the job here.

We have the following argument:
Let \(\displaystyle f(x)\) be the Cantor function, and let C be the cantor set. Note that \(\displaystyle f(C) = [0,1]\), since f is non-increasing on all points outside of C.

Define \(\displaystyle g:[0,1]\rightarrow [0,2]\) by \(\displaystyle g(x) = x + f(x)\). Since g maps every interval outside of C to an interval of the same length, we can deduce that \(\displaystyle m(g(C))=1\). By Vitali's theorem, there is a non-measurable set \(\displaystyle A\subset g(C)\). Note that \(\displaystyle B:=g^{-1}(A)\) is a subset of C. Because B is a subset of a null set, B is null and hence measurable.

Thus, we have \(\displaystyle g(B) = A\). g is a continuous (and hence measurable) function that takes a measurable set, B, to a non-measurable set, A. Thus, the answer to both questions is no.

You are right. For the second question I misread the question, I believed you asked about $f(\Bbb R)$. I've now edited.

Your counter-example seems correct.

Your assumptions are correct. In general, a measurable function preserves the measurability of sets, so if E is measurable, then f(E) is also measurable. This can be proven using the definition of measurability and the fact that the preimage of a measurable set under a measurable function is also measurable.

However, if f is assumed to be continuous, then the statement becomes true. This is because continuous functions preserve the topology of a space, and in this case, the topology of the real numbers. Since E is measurable, it can be written as a countable union of open sets, and the continuity of f ensures that the preimage of each of these open sets is also open and thus measurable. Therefore, f(E) is also measurable.

To summarize, if f is a measurable function and E is a measurable set, then f(E) is measurable. If f is also continuous, then f(E) is measurable.

Related to Measurable Function (Another Question)

1. What is a measurable function?

A measurable function is a type of mathematical function that maps a set of inputs to a set of measurable outputs. This means that the function produces values that can be assigned a numerical value and can be compared to other values.

2. What are the properties of a measurable function?

A measurable function must have two main properties: measurability and integrability. Measurability means that the function's output must be measurable, while integrability means that the function's output must be able to be integrated over a certain interval.

3. How is a measurable function different from a continuous function?

A measurable function differs from a continuous function in that it does not have to be continuous over its entire domain. A measurable function only needs to be continuous at certain points in its domain in order to be considered measurable.

4. What is the importance of measurable functions in mathematics?

Measurable functions play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, particularly in the field of measure theory. They are used to model real-world phenomena and to solve complex mathematical problems in areas such as probability, statistics, and analysis.

5. Can a function be both measurable and continuous?

Yes, a function can be both measurable and continuous. In fact, all continuous functions are measurable, but not all measurable functions are continuous. This is because a measurable function only needs to be continuous at certain points, while a continuous function is continuous over its entire domain.