Measurement standard for joules = Momentum in kilograms

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the momentum of a photon using its frequency and the equation p=E/c. There is a discrepancy in the units used for energy, with the preferred unit being joules. The resulting momentum is calculated to be 1.5E-26 kg m/s, but there is a lack of significant figures in the given numbers. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to look up the meaning of significant figures.
Camdenl
Basically, I found the energy of a photon using its frequency ((6.8*10^15) and E=(3.6496394*10^-16)) and so I then used "p=E/c" to find the momentum and got 1.2173887*10^-24 however I don't know the measurement of the momentum. Is there a better equation to use to find momentum, and what would the measurements be?

(edit) I'd like to know the momentum in kilogram-meters per second.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Camden, :welcome:

What are the units of the E you found ? And what are then the units of p if you use c = 3 108 m/s a (as it seems you do) ?

And, eh, if you have 2 digits of ##f##, you should end up with 2 (perhaps 3) digits of p, not 8

Likes vanhees71
BvU said:
Hi Camden, :welcome:

What are the units of the E you found ? And what are then the units of p if you use c = 3 108 m/s a (as it seems you do) ?

And, eh, if you have 2 digits of ##f##, you should end up with 2 (perhaps 3) digits of p, not 8
The "E" was in joules, and I would like to find out the momentum "p" in kilogram-meter per second.

Camdenl said:
Basically, I found the energy of a photon using its frequency ((6.8*10^15) and E=(3.6496394*10^-16)) and so I then used "p=E/c" to find the momentum and got 1.2173887*10^-24 however I don't know the measurement of the momentum. Is there a better equation to use to find momentum, and what would the measurements be?

Camdenl said:
The "E" was in joules, and I would like to find out the momentum "p" in kilogram-meter per second.

Two things:

1. Pay attention to significant figures! It is meaningless to write all those numbers up to 7 decimal places.

2. If you keep all your units in SI (i.e. energy in Joules, c in m/s), then your momentum will also be in SI units that you are looking for. Remember that "Joules" is equal to kg.m2/s2.

Zz.

Likes Camdenl
So, Camden, is it clear to you now that you had p in the units you wanted all along ?

Likes Camdenl
Camdenl said:

First, just out of curiosity I checked the wavelength. This is 44 nm, a pretty hard x-ray. That's fine, I just thought I'd check and make sure that is what you intended.

You say you took this frequency and found the energy. How? E = h f. These aren't just numbers. E has units. h has units. f has units. You could use completely different units for h and get a completely different number for E. The numbers would mean the same energy if they are written with their units. Completely different numbers meaning the same thing with units should underscore the point that the numbers don't mean anything without units. You must use units.

So I'm looking for the units you might have used for h. In SI units of J-s h is 6.626E-34.

6.8E15 / s * 6.626E-34 J - s = 4.5E-18 J

So your energy doesn't seem to be Joules. In fact I don't see any obvious choice of units for h that would produce your number. Where did that energy number come from?

So a J = kg m^2 / s^2

E / c = p so

(4.5E-18 kg m^2 / s^2) / ( 2.997E8 m/s) = 1.5E-26 kg m/s

in the units you requested

Likes Camdenl and BvU
[oh boy, it didn't occur to me to check if Camden computed ##h\nu## properly ... kudos CK!]

ZapperZ said:
Two things:

1. Pay attention to significant figures! It is meaningless to write all those numbers up to 7 decimal places.

2. If you keep all your units in SI (i.e. energy in Joules, c in m/s), then your momentum will also be in SI units that you are looking for. Remember that "Joules" is equal to kg.m2/s2.

Zz.
The numbers don't have 7 decimal spots, they have 24, they're shortened. For example, 1.2173887*10^-24 is equal to 0.000000000000000012173887. The whole thing's a decimal.

Cutter Ketch said:
First, just out of curiosity I checked the wavelength. This is 44 nm, a pretty hard x-ray. That's fine, I just thought I'd check and make sure that is what you intended.

You say you took this frequency and found the energy. How? E = h f. These aren't just numbers. E has units. h has units. f has units. You could use completely different units for h and get a completely different number for E. The numbers would mean the same energy if they are written with their units. Completely different numbers meaning the same thing with units should underscore the point that the numbers don't mean anything without units. You must use units.

So I'm looking for the units you might have used for h. In SI units of J-s h is 6.626E-34.

6.8E15 / s * 6.626E-34 J - s = 4.5E-18 J

So your energy doesn't seem to be Joules. In fact I don't see any obvious choice of units for h that would produce your number. Where did that energy number come from?

So a J = kg m^2 / s^2

E / c = p so

(4.5E-18 kg m^2 / s^2) / ( 2.997E8 m/s) = 1.5E-26 kg m/s

in the units you requested
Thanks, I'm fairly new to stuff like this since I'm learning out of personal interest.

Camdenl said:
The numbers don't have 7 decimal spots, they have 24, they're shortened. For example, 1.2173887*10^-24 is equal to 0.000000000000000012173887. The whole thing's a decimal.

Since you are doing your own personal lesson, I suggest you look up the meaning of "significant figures".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Since you are doing your own personal lesson, I suggest you look up the meaning of "significant figures".

Zz.
Oh, I got it, I just didn't understand. I'm pretty new to this stuff, sorry

Cutter Ketch said:
First, just out of curiosity I checked the wavelength. This is 44 nm, a pretty hard x-ray.
I'm sorry, but I checked for 44 nm on a wavelength chart, and it came under uv light. Did I make some mistake, or what?

Wavelength is fine: C = 3 10 8 m/s divided by frequency 6.8 1015 1/s gives 4.4 10-8 m or 44 nm.
An a chart like this ranges it as far uv, very soft x-ray.
(Same chart shows an energy between 10 and 100 eV)

Now we would like to now how you found your E :

Camdenl said:
frequency ((6.8*10^15) and E=(3.6496394*10^-16))

did you use a formula ? which ?

BvU said:
Wavelength is fine: C = 3 10 8 m/s divided by frequency 6.8 1015 1/s gives 4.4 10-8 m or 44 nm.
An a chart like this ranges it as far uv, very soft x-ray.
(Same chart shows an energy between 10 and 100 eV)

Now we would like to now how you found your E :
did you use a formula ? which ?
I adopted the frequency from "http://www.csun.edu/~jte35633/worksheets/Chemistry/5-2PlancksEq.pdf" and then attempted to use the formula available on that site. The probable reason for why I got my E would likely be because of my novice in this subject. Also, could you explain to me how I could use nm and convert it so I could use it in an equation?

Last edited:
Ok, I see the frequency 6.8 1015 1/s in question 1. They give ##\ h## = 6.63 10-34 J s .

What do you get when you apply ##\ E=h\nu\ ## ?

Nanometers are 10-9 m. So 4.4 10-8 m / 10-9 (m/nm) = 44 nm.

And conversely: wavelength in nm x 10-9 (m/nm) = wavelength in m

Likes Camdenl
Camdenl said:
I'm sorry, but I checked for 44 nm on a wavelength chart, and it came under uv light. Did I make some mistake, or what?

Ah, yes. I was completely off base calling that X-ray. My typing out ran my brain. My apologies.

Likes Camdenl
BvU said:
Ok, I see the frequency 6.8 1015 1/s in question 1. They give ##\ h## = 6.63 10-34 J s .

What do you get when you apply ##\ E=h\nu\ ## ?

Nanometers are 10-9 m. So 4.4 10-8 m / 10-9 (m/nm) = 44 nm.

And conversely: wavelength in nm x 10-9 (m/nm) = wavelength in m
So I grabbed Plancks constant for joules(6.626070040(81)×10^−34) and multiplied it by the frequency(6.8×10^15) using the google calculator it came out at 3.6496394e-16. Also, thanks for the info on nanometers.

Camdenl said:
So I grabbed Plancks constant for joules(6.626070040(81)×10^−34) and multiplied it by the frequency(6.8×10^15) using the google calculator it came out at 3.6496394e-16. Also, thanks for the info on nanometers.
If you multiply 6.8 times 6.6, what do you get? If you subtract 15 from 34, what do you get?

Always do the easy sanity checks.

jbriggs444 said:
If you multiply 6.8 times 6.6, what do you get? If you subtract 15 from 34, what do you get?

Always do the easy sanity checks.
Ok, thanks.

Camdenl said:

The google calculator (in my case I just type it in on the search bar) tells you what it does to calculate the result:

6.626070040 * (81) * (10^−(34)) * 6.8 * (10^15) just above the 'result' 3.6496394e-16​

6.626×10^−34 * 6.8×10^15 works a lot better: 4.50568e-18​

So it uses e notation for the result. Funny enough it doesn't like same notation for input

6.626e−34 * 6.8e15 is read as (6.626 * e) − (34 * 6.8e15) = -2.312e+17​

And I (seasoned Fortran programmer) found no way to enter a negative exponent of 10 using this e notation. (anyone ?)

Someone should tell those guys to clean up their act. School kids (and lots of others) blindly copy the nonsensical result !

Likes Camdenl
BvU said:
The google calculator (in my case I just type it in on the search bar) tells you what it does to calculate the result:

6.626070040 * (81) * (10^−(34)) * 6.8 * (10^15) just above the 'result' 3.6496394e-16​

6.626×10^−34 * 6.8×10^15 works a lot better: 4.50568e-18​

So it uses e notation for the result. Funny enough it doesn't like same notation for input

6.626e−34 * 6.8e15 is read as (6.626 * e) − (34 * 6.8e15) = -2.312e+17​

And I (seasoned Fortran programmer) found no way to enter a negative exponent of 10 using this e notation. (anyone ?)

Someone should tell those guys to clean up their act. School kids (and lots of others) blindly copy the nonsensical result !
Thanks for the info!

1. What is the definition of a joule in terms of momentum?

The joule is defined as the unit of measurement for energy, and is equal to the amount of energy exerted by a force of one newton over a distance of one meter. In terms of momentum, one joule is equivalent to the amount of momentum gained by an object with a mass of one kilogram moving at a velocity of one meter per second.

2. How is the measurement standard for joules related to momentum in kilograms?

The measurement standard for joules is directly related to momentum in kilograms. This is because the joule is defined as the unit of energy, and momentum is a measure of an object's energy in motion. In fact, one joule is equivalent to one kilogram times meter squared per second squared, which is the standard unit for momentum.

3. Why is it important to have a standard measurement for joules and momentum?

Having a standard measurement for joules and momentum is crucial for consistency and accuracy in scientific research and experimentation. Without a standard unit of measurement, it would be difficult to compare and replicate results, hindering the progress of scientific knowledge and advancement.

4. How does the measurement standard for joules and momentum impact everyday life?

The measurement standard for joules and momentum may not have a direct impact on everyday life, but it plays a significant role in various industries and fields. For example, in engineering, understanding the relationship between joules and momentum is crucial for designing efficient and safe machines and structures.

5. Are there any potential limitations or challenges with using the measurement standard for joules and momentum?

One potential limitation or challenge with using the measurement standard for joules and momentum is that it may not be applicable to all types of energy and motion. There are other units, such as calorie and horsepower, that are used to measure specific forms of energy and motion. Additionally, accurately measuring momentum can be challenging in real-world scenarios due to factors such as friction and air resistance.