Measuring the Optical Power of a Pulsed Source

In summary, People tend to use whichever method gives them the highest numbers. There is no "proper way".
narra
Hi. I was wondering if someone can provide me with some advice on the proper way for measuring the optical power of a pulsed laser system?

My optional methods are: - Photodiode detector: measuring average power
- Oscilliscope with optic-electric converter: measuring temporal power as voltage magnitude.
- Optical spectrum analyser: measuring spectral power

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
In all honesty, people tend to use whatever method gives them the highest numbers to publish. ;) There is no "proper way". If your purpose is just to have some metric of performance, pick whatever method is easiest and most reliable, and then use it consistently. If you have a specific application in mind, you have to think through the physical requirements of the application.

Hi Chrisbaird, I do agree with that to some extent, but for my circumstances I firstly want to accurate actual optical power (not a relative or value for indication); something that I can believe in.

Secondly, since I am working with a pulsed system at say 1-10kHz repetition rate then how do I know that my measurement tool is responding in the right way (ie, can I believe an average power measurement on a photodiode power meter or should I turn to an oscilloscope where I can observe my pulse in time?).

Thirdly, if I'm interested in a narrow optical band (1550 +/- 2nm in my case) then should I rely on an optical spectrum analyser to offer me a spectral peak power or should I use a narrow band filter (@1550nm) on my photodiode detector/ oscilloscope?

Thanks

It depends on how accurate you want to be. I think the right answer is an integrating sphere, but a one liter thermos bottle of water and a good thermometer would get you close.

Actually my question is more what measurement domain is best suitable, time, averaged time or spectral. Since I'm concerned with single mode fibre optics then I am able to capture much of my light I believe.

1. What is the purpose of measuring the optical power of a pulsed source?

The purpose of measuring the optical power of a pulsed source is to determine the amount of energy emitted by the source in the form of light. This measurement is important in various applications, such as laser technology, telecommunications, and medical devices, as it helps to ensure the proper functioning and efficiency of the source.

2. How is optical power measured for pulsed sources?

The optical power of a pulsed source is typically measured using a power meter or photodetector. The pulsed light is directed onto the sensor, and the energy is converted into an electrical signal. The power meter then calculates the power of the light based on the measured signal.

3. What is the difference between average power and peak power in pulsed sources?

Average power refers to the average amount of energy emitted by the source over a given time period, while peak power refers to the maximum amount of energy emitted in a single pulse. Average power is important for determining the overall energy output of the source, while peak power is crucial for applications that require high-intensity pulses, such as laser cutting or ablation.

4. How does the pulse repetition rate affect the measurement of optical power?

The pulse repetition rate, or the frequency at which pulses are emitted by the source, can affect the measurement of optical power. If the repetition rate is too high, the power meter may not be able to accurately measure the peak power of each individual pulse. In such cases, an averaging function can be used to calculate the average power over a longer time period.

5. Are there any potential sources of error when measuring the optical power of a pulsed source?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error when measuring the optical power of a pulsed source. These include variations in the pulse shape or duration, inaccuracies in the power meter or photodetector, and external factors such as ambient light or temperature. It is important to carefully calibrate and validate the measurement setup to minimize these sources of error.