Mechanical engineering project which would help for my MBA?

In summary, Jake says getting a mechanical engineering degree is all you need to get into a good MBA program. Get experience doing mechanical engineering and then decide if the MBA is for you.
rahul wiley
am in 6th semester mechanical engineering please suggest me projects which would help me to get into b-schools.

Physics news on Phys.org
An MBA is supposed to teach you how to manage people and projects. Engineering is the technical side of a project. The MBA is supposed to set goals, recruit people, estimate budgets, and so forth.

Any project you do of significant size will be noticed by the school.

That said: the MBA is not a goal unto itself. In other words, it is like getting a coaching degree without any background in what sport you are coaching. Can a figure skating coach turn around tomorrow and coach a hockey team? No. And yet there are idiots who walk around saying things such as "a good manager can manage anything" --as if management is an end in and of itself.

It is not.

Do whatever you need to do with a mechanical engineering degree. I also highly recommend getting into the practice of mechanical engineering for a few years. The field of engineering in particular is a blend of the practical hands-on experience with the academic theories and methods. An engineer should have equal parts of both.

THEN and only then, if you feel you want to manage people, should you consider the MBA. Be forewarned, there is a painfully large amount of truth to the Dilbert comic strip, and much of it stems from poorly educated MBA graduates that most schools produce. If you forge ahead to the MBA straight out of engineering school, you will be doing everyone, including yourself, a disservice.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
An MBA is supposed to teach you how to manage people and projects. Engineering is the technical side of a project. The MBA is supposed to set goals, recruit people, estimate budgets, and so forth.

Any project you do of significant size will be noticed by the school.

That said: the MBA is not a goal unto itself. In other words, it is like getting a coaching degree without any background in what sport you are coaching. Can a figure skating coach turn around tomorrow and coach a hockey team? No. And yet there are idiots who walk around saying things such as "a good manager can manage anything" --as if management is an end in and of itself.

It is not.

Do whatever you need to do with a mechanical engineering degree. I also highly recommend getting into the practice of mechanical engineering for a few years. The field of engineering in particular is a blend of the practical hands-on experience with the academic theories and methods. An engineer should have equal parts of both.

THEN and only then, if you feel you want to manage people, should you consider the MBA. Be forewarned, there is a painfully large amount of truth to the Dilbert comic strip, and much of it stems from poorly educated MBA graduates that most schools produce. If you forge ahead to the MBA straight out of engineering school, you will be doing everyone, including yourself, a disservice.

Thank you Jake...your post has not only solved my doubt about project but also my doubts about MBA as a whole,Thank you very much
i wish i had a mentor like you...

Related to Mechanical engineering project which would help for my MBA?

1. What is the purpose of a mechanical engineering project for an MBA program?

A mechanical engineering project can help MBA students develop their technical and analytical skills, as well as their project management and problem-solving abilities. It also allows them to gain hands-on experience in applying engineering principles to real-world business problems.

2. What types of mechanical engineering projects are suitable for an MBA program?

There are various types of mechanical engineering projects that can be beneficial for MBA students, including product design and development, process improvement, cost analysis and optimization, and supply chain management. It is important to choose a project that aligns with your interests and career goals.

3. How should I approach a mechanical engineering project for my MBA?

First, you should clearly define the problem or objective you want to address through the project. Then, conduct thorough research and analysis to develop a feasible and effective solution. It is also important to document and communicate your findings and recommendations effectively.

4. How can a mechanical engineering project enhance my MBA experience?

A mechanical engineering project can provide practical application of the theories and concepts learned in the classroom, allowing students to deepen their understanding and develop critical thinking skills. It can also serve as a valuable addition to a resume, demonstrating a well-rounded skill set and industry experience.

5. What are some potential challenges in completing a mechanical engineering project for an MBA?

Some challenges that may arise include limited resources or time constraints, difficulty in finding a suitable project topic, and potential conflicts between team members. It is important to plan and manage the project effectively, and communicate openly with your team to overcome any challenges that may arise.