Mechanics- connected particles

In summary, Two particles A and B, with masses 8kg and 5kg respectively, are attached to the ends of a light inextensible string which passes over a smooth pulley. Both particles are initially held 1.2m above the ground and the system is released from rest. When particle A hits the ground, it does not bounce and particle B reaches a maximum height of 2.68m. When the string is cut, particle B reaches a maximum height of 2.68m and the total time from being released from rest until B hits the ground is 1.99 seconds (with a time of 1.02 seconds until the string is cut). The calculation for the maximum height reached by particle
Shah 72
MHB
Two particles A and B are attached to the ends of a light inextensible string, which passes over a smooth pulley. Particle A has mass 8 kg and particle B has mass 5kg. Both the particles are held 1.2m above the ground. The system is released from rest and the particles move vertically.
a) when particle A hits the ground, it does not bounce. Find the max height reached by particle B
b) when particle A hits the ground, the string is cut. Find the total time from being released from rest until B hits the ground.
I calculated (a) and got the max height traveled by B when A hits the ground would be 1.2 +1.2 +0.27= 2.68m
Iam not getting the right ans for (b) which is 1.99 s
t1= 1.02s
When the string is cut, Tension=0N , max height reached by B =2.68m, a=-g=-10m/s^2, u=0m/s on the way down.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Where did you get the 0.27 m in part a)?

We've asked you to show your work any number of times. Please tell us how you calculated a) and why you did what you did.

And always always always sketch a diagram.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Where did you get the 0.27 m in part a)?

We've asked you to show your work any number of times. Please tell us how you calculated a) and why you did what you did.

And always always always sketch a diagram.

-Dan
Ok I will post my working.
a)So by drawing free body diagram of both A and B, I calculated a=2.308m/s^2
Then I calculated the velocity with which A hits the ground by taking u= 0 m/s , a= 2.308m/s^2, s=1.2m, v= 2.35 m/s
B also moves up with the same velocity of 2.35 m/ s and also moves 1.2m upwards.
I need to calculate the X m it travels upwards and then comes down.
So I took u= 2.35m /s, v= 0 m/s, a=-g=-10m/s^2, s=?
I got s=0.27m
I added this 1.2+1.2+0.27 and got max height = 2.68m

1. What are connected particles in mechanics?

Connected particles in mechanics refer to a system of two or more particles that are joined together by a constraint, such as a rigid rod or a string. These particles are connected in such a way that their motion is dependent on each other.

2. What is the difference between connected and unconnected particles?

The main difference between connected and unconnected particles is that connected particles have a constraint that links their motion together, while unconnected particles do not have any constraints and can move independently from each other.

3. How do you calculate the motion of connected particles?

The motion of connected particles can be calculated using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion. The constraints between the particles also need to be taken into consideration when solving for their motion.

4. What are some common examples of connected particles in mechanics?

Some common examples of connected particles in mechanics include a pendulum, a double pendulum, a pulley system, and a simple harmonic oscillator. These systems involve two or more particles that are connected by a constraint and exhibit complex motion patterns.

5. How does the motion of one connected particle affect the other particles in the system?

The motion of one connected particle can affect the motion of the other particles in the system due to the constraint between them. For example, in a pendulum system, the motion of one mass will cause the other mass to move in a synchronized manner due to the shared constraint of the pendulum rod.