Mechanics- General motion in a straight line.

In summary: Yeah I got that. Textbook question has a=- 0.01t m/s^2So according to this our ans of 26.7m should be right. And as you mentioned if the question had a= -0.1t m/ s^2 then s= 8.43 m.
Shah 72
MHB
A woman on a sledge moves in a straight line across horizontal ice. Her initial velocity is 2 m/s. Throughout the journey her acceleration is given by a= -0.01t m/s^2, where t is the time from the start in seconds. Find the distance that she travels before coming to rest.
Iam getting the ans 53.3 m
When t= 0s initial velocity= 2m/s
I integrated to get v= -0.01t^2/2+2
I integrated v to get s= -0.01t^3/6 +2t+c
t=0, s=0, c=0
When it comes to rest v= 0
I get t=20s taking the velocity equation.
I substitute in s and got 53.3m
The ans in textbook is 8.43m

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I disagree with both your solution and the text “answer”.

$\Delta x = 2t - \dfrac{0.01t^3}{6} = 40 - \dfrac{80}{6} = \dfrac{80}{3} \approx 26.7$ m

which matches up with the evaluation of the definite integral

$\displaystyle \Delta x = \int_0^{20} 2 - \dfrac{0.01t^2}{2} \, dt$

if the acceleration was $-0.1t \, m/s^2$, then the text solution is correct

skeeter said:

$\Delta x = 2t - \dfrac{0.01t^3}{6} = 40 - \dfrac{80}{6} = \dfrac{80}{3} \approx 26.7$ m

Sorry that was a typo mistake. I got 26.7 m.
So the textbook ans is wrong.
Thank you so so much!

Shah 72 said:
Sorry that was a typo mistake. I got 26.7 m.
So the textbook ans is wrong.
Thank you so so much!

As I stated, the text solution was not incorrect if it was a typo with the acceleration by one decimal place … which is a plausible explanation imo.

skeeter said:

Yeah I got that. Textbook question has a=- 0.01t m/s^2
So according to this our ans of 26.7m should be right. And as you mentioned if the question had a= -0.1t m/ s^2 then s= 8.43 m.
Thanks a lot!

1. What is the definition of "general motion in a straight line" in mechanics?

General motion in a straight line refers to the movement of an object in a single direction without any changes in its direction or speed. It can be either uniform, where the object moves at a constant velocity, or non-uniform, where the object's velocity changes over time.

2. How is the displacement of an object calculated in general motion in a straight line?

The displacement of an object in general motion in a straight line is the change in its position from its initial point to its final point. It is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in general motion in a straight line?

Speed is the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction. In general motion in a straight line, speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

4. What are the equations used to calculate the acceleration of an object in general motion in a straight line?

The equations used to calculate acceleration in general motion in a straight line are a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time; and a = (vf^2 - vi^2)/2d, where d is displacement.

5. How does the concept of inertia apply to general motion in a straight line?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In general motion in a straight line, an object will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is known as Newton's first law of motion and is a result of inertia.