Meiosis I Cell Division: Understanding Allele Distribution in Daughter Cells"

In summary: Thank you. In summary, during meiosis in a diploid heterozygote, the two alleles separate and end up in different daughter cells, no longer together in one cell. Additionally, during metaphase I, the homologous chromosomes can randomly line up, resulting in either the same alleles or different alleles in the daughter cells.
Soaring Crane

Homework Statement

If we follow meiosis in a diploid heterozygote, the two alleles are, following the first cell division,

a. no longer together in one cell
b. together on a chromatid
c. present only as mutants
d. blended into a new mix
e. chromatids

Homework Equations

Not applicable?

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the correct choice a. no longer together in one cell? For example, let’s say there is a chromosome with B/B on it. (Each B is on a chromatid). Another chromosome has b/b (each b is on separate chromatid) on it. This homologous pairs lines up on the equatorial plate. After anaphase one daughter cell will house chromosome b/b and the other will house B/B?

Homework Statement

If a pair of chromosomes at metaphase I contain the alleles A and A in one chromosome and a and a in the other chromosome, the first daughter cells will contain

a. either a and a or A and A
b. either A and a or a and A
c. A and a and A and a
d. AB, Ab, aB, and ab
e. a and z

Homework Equations

Not applicable?

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the correct answer a. either a and a or A and A? At the end of the first division in telophase, one daughter cell will have a chromosome with A/A on it and the other daughter cell will have a chromosome with a/a on it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to provide some clarification and additional information on the topic of meiosis and allele segregation.

Firstly, it is important to note that the correct answer for the first question is a. no longer together in one cell. This is because during meiosis, the homologous chromosomes (each containing one allele) separate and end up in different daughter cells. This means that the two alleles are no longer together in one cell, but rather each cell will have only one allele from the original pair.

In regards to the second question, the correct answer is b. either A and a or a and A. This is because during meiosis, the homologous chromosomes can randomly line up on the equatorial plate. This means that either the A allele or the a allele can end up in the same daughter cell. So, it is possible for both daughter cells to have the same allele (either A/A or a/a) or for them to have different alleles (A/a or a/A).

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and provides a better understanding of meiosis and allele segregation. As always, if you have any further questions or need additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Yes, you are correct. The correct answer is a. either a and a or A and A. During meiosis I, homologous chromosomes separate, resulting in two daughter cells that each contain one of the homologous chromosomes. In this scenario, one daughter cell will receive the chromosome with the A allele while the other will receive the chromosome with the a allele. This is known as independent assortment and is one of the key mechanisms for generating genetic diversity in sexually reproducing organisms.

1. What is Meiosis I cell division?

Meiosis I is the first stage of cell division in the process of meiosis, which is the type of cell division that produces gametes (sex cells). During Meiosis I, the parent cell divides into two daughter cells, each with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.

2. What is the purpose of Meiosis I cell division?

The purpose of Meiosis I is to reduce the number of chromosomes in the daughter cells by half. This is important for sexual reproduction, as it allows for the combination of genetic material from two different individuals to produce genetically unique offspring.

3. What are the stages of Meiosis I cell division?

Meiosis I can be divided into four stages: prophase I, metaphase I, anaphase I, and telophase I. During prophase I, the chromosomes condense and pair up. In metaphase I, the pairs of chromosomes line up at the center of the cell. Anaphase I is when the pairs of chromosomes are separated and pulled to opposite ends of the cell. Telophase I is when the cell divides into two daughter cells.

4. How is Meiosis I different from Meiosis II?

Meiosis I and Meiosis II are two stages of the same process, but they have different outcomes. Meiosis I is when the number of chromosomes is reduced by half, while Meiosis II is when the sister chromatids are separated, resulting in four daughter cells with the same number of chromosomes as the parent cell.

5. What is the significance of the genetic variation produced by Meiosis I?

The genetic variation produced by Meiosis I is important for evolution and adaptation. The random assortment of chromosomes and crossing over during Meiosis I result in genetically diverse offspring, which increases the chances of survival in changing environments.