Melancholia, Lars von Trier's movie

• Thread starter infinitebubble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: I loved the way it was done--so artsy and dreamlike. The inaccuracies didn't bother me as much as they might have because they were handled in such a creative way.
infinitebubble
In the Sci-Fi movie Melancholia, strange movie as it were I couldn't help but be drawn by the slowly moving planet as it gets closer to Earth. Unfortunately the new planets gravity should have shown many effects to weather/oceans much more in strength than what the Moon could have sooner. But as always the physics of the movie do not coincide with reality. What do you think for those that have watched this Sci-Fi flick or read the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi infinite:

I did not like this movie. The premise was OK, but I thought that two things were poorly done.
1. The view of the approaching planet seemed completely inconsistent with what was said about the time to impact.
2. Although I do not remember the details, I do remember my reaction to the behavior of the people. It seemed to me to be over the top strange and unrealistic.

Regards,
Buzz

It was done with more of an artistic focus than a scientific one. The acting and visuals were good. I agree with you on the scientific inaccuracies, but that's hollwood for you. The behavior of the characters in the this movie reminded me a little of the 1998 film Last Night.

Likes infinitebubble
Rubidium_71 said:
It was done with more of an artistic focus than a scientific one. The acting and visuals were good. I agree with you on the scientific inaccuracies, but that's hollwood for you. The behavior of the characters in the this movie reminded me a little of the 1998 film Last Night.

Agree.. very artistically done and directed. Reminds me of the surrealistic movie 'Upside Down'.

Best depiction of depression in film I've ever seen. The inaccuracies bothered me a bit, as I felt it would add to the viewing experience if it could be also taken at face value - as a disaster film that just happens to have depressed people in it. But then again, it did a pretty good job overall, it's just that I'm anal retentive about my orbital dynamics.

Rubidium_71 said:
the 1998 film Last Night.
What a lovely, lovely movie that one.

1. What is the plot of Melancholia?

The movie follows two sisters, Justine and Claire, as they deal with the impending collision of a rogue planet, Melancholia, with Earth. Justine struggles with depression and her deteriorating marriage, while Claire tries to come to terms with the end of the world.

2. Is Melancholia based on a true story?

No, the movie is not based on a true story. It is a work of fiction by director Lars von Trier.

3. How was the visual effects for Melancholia created?

The visual effects were created using a combination of practical effects, such as miniatures and CGI. The production team also used a technique called "digital matte painting" to create some of the more surreal and dreamlike scenes.

4. What is the significance of the title "Melancholia"?

The title refers to the planet that is heading towards Earth, but it also serves as a metaphor for the main character's struggle with depression. The planet's looming presence mirrors Justine's own feelings of hopelessness and impending doom.

5. Did the movie receive any awards or nominations?

Yes, Melancholia received several awards and nominations, including the Best Actress Award for Kirsten Dunst at the Cannes Film Festival and a nomination for Best Original Screenplay at the Academy Awards.