Melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides

In summary, the boiling and melting points of the titanium tetra-halides show that TiF4 is an ionic compound while TiCl4, TiBr4, and TiI4 are covalent compounds. The general rule is that ionic compounds have higher boiling and melting points. However, there is no specific temperature at which compounds are considered ionic and the rule is only approximate. It works well when comparing analogous compounds, but there may be anomalies in the data.
i_love_science
Homework Statement
The melting and boiling points of the titanium tetra- halides are given in the table (see below). Rationalize these data in terms of the bonding in and the intermolecular forces among these compounds.
Relevant Equations
bonding
intermolecular forces
Table
boiling point (°C)melting point (°C)
TiF4284N/A
TiCl4-24136.5
TiBr438233.5
TiI4155377

The solution says that TiF4 is an ionic compound, while TiCl4, TiBr4, and TiI4 are covalent compounds. How would I determine this from the problem without prior memorization/knowledge? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about general rules of boiling/melting points of ionic and covalent compounds?

i_love_science said:
Table
boiling point (°C)melting point (°C)
TiF4284N/A
TiCl4-24136.5
TiBr438233.5
TiI4155377

We all have something to learn, and I had never met before compounds whose melting points were higher than their boiling points, have I missed something?

epenguin said:
We all have something to learn, and I had never met before compounds whose melting points were higher than their boiling points, have I missed something?
It would appear that the column titles are switched.

i_love_science said:
Homework Statement:: The melting and boiling points of the titanium tetra-halides are given in the table (see below). Rationalize these data in terms of the bonding in and the intermolecular forces among these compounds.
Relevant Equations:: bonding
intermolecular forces

Table
boiling point (°C)melting point (°C)TiF4284N/ATiCl4-24136.5TiBr438233.5TiI4155377
Check the information in the Table. Various sources, including supplier websites, have the melting point of Ti(IV)fluoride as 377° C (710.6° F), and it sublimes.
https://www.americanelements.com/titanium-iv-fluoride-7783-63-3
https://www.americanelements.com/titanium-iv-iodide-7720-83-4

Last edited:
Borek said:
What do you know about general rules of boiling/melting points of ionic and covalent compounds?
Ionic compounds have higher boiling and melting points than covalent compounds. Is there a specific mp or bp value above which compounds are considered ionic?

Astronuc said:
It would appear that the column titles are switched.
They're actually not switched, this is the exact question.

i_love_science said:
Ionic compounds have higher boiling and melting points than covalent compounds.

OK

Is there a specific mp or bp value above which compounds are considered ionic?

No, but as the rule is only approximate there is no way to define such temperatures (plus, there are no such things as purely ionic or purely covalent compounds, each bond has some mixed properties). However, it works quite well when you have a series of analogous compounds that can be easily compared. That's the case here, do you see any anomaly in the data?

1. What are the melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides?

The melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides vary depending on the specific halide (fluoride, chloride, bromide, or iodide). Generally, the melting points range from approximately 1,500-2,500 degrees Celsius and the boiling points range from approximately 2,500-3,500 degrees Celsius.

2. How do the melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides compare to other compounds?

The melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides are relatively high compared to other compounds. This is due to the strong bonds between the titanium and halide atoms, which require a significant amount of energy to break.

3. What factors can affect the melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides?

The melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides can be affected by several factors, including the specific halide used, the purity of the compound, and the surrounding pressure and atmosphere. Additionally, the presence of impurities or additives can also impact the melting and boiling points.

4. How are the melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides measured?

The melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides are typically measured using specialized equipment, such as a melting point apparatus or a boiling point apparatus. These instruments use precise temperature control and observation methods to determine the exact points at which the compounds melt and boil.

5. Why are the melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides important to study?

The melting and boiling points of titanium tetrahalides are important to study because they can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of these compounds. This can be useful in various fields, such as material science, chemistry, and engineering, where titanium tetrahalides are commonly used in applications such as catalysts, pigments, and coatings.