Mendelian's - epitasis 9:3:4 , biology

In summary, the corn came out of a cross between two purple types and the result was a ratio of 9:3:4 of yellow:white:purple. There is a possible gene interaction where white recessive is caused by the presence of two R's on the c locus.
cliffordlim
After I have done counting the corn and the result 267 yellow , 97 white , 144 purple
ratio 9:3:4 respectively . Recessive - Epitasis ?
I have no idea create a inheritance cross and the biochemical influence by genes interaction from
this phenomena

Physics news on Phys.org
cliffordlim said:
After I have done counting the corn and the result 267 yellow , 97 white , 144 purple
ratio 9:3:4 respectively . Recessive - Epitasis ?
I have no idea create a inheritance cross and the biochemical influence by genes interaction from
this phenomena

That by itself is not a phenomenon. If I told you the number of books of different colours on my shelves would that be a phenomenon?

You have to state what this corn your counted has come out of. Some cross? The total descendance after n=? generations from two ancestors? Something else?

This is the dihybrid cross where the parents are purple ( rrCC ) x white ( RRcc)
F1 generation all RrCc(yellow ).The result is F2 generation in the ratio 9:3:4 . (Yellow:white:purple)
What kind of gene interaction is this and how should I explain it?

I can't say I ever met this sort of situation before, but I found a, repeat a, possible solution so it Is not a question of expertise, just thinking.

9 + 3 + 4 = 16, convenient. Take one gene and the three genotypes are in ratio 1/4: 2/4: 1/4 or 4/16: 8/16: 4/16 . You can probably see where your 4/16 purples are coming from. I wrote out a tree - top layer

RR. Rr. rr
4. 8. 4Then on next layer wrote the three genotypes that come under each of those in F2 with their expected frequencies in sixteenths.

Excluding the purples I looked for what combinations of c/C's do I see 3 of? There seems to be more than one answer, I don't know if there is other information to distinguish these, but getting that far is the main thing.

Last edited:
OP not come back, not recommending self for any future help but I think it is a shame to leave questions unanswered like this when the answer is so simple yet maybe not at first sight obvious.

Point is a bit of familiarity helps a lot with genetics - geneticists can look at quite complicated data and reel you off the explanation just like that while you have to work it out more slowly on paper, in fact I wrote myself out the genotype frequencies as mentioned in #4.

But then I see, just in your head, what can explain 3/16 whites? Simples - first the data indicated that RR makes purple independent of the C locus, but presence of two R necessary for it. That is 4/16 cases, now of the 12 left 3 are white, that's just the expected 1/4 of homozygous for C, when you have 1:2:1 i.e. 3:6:3 of cc:Cc:CC. White recessive.

1. What is Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4?

Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4 is a genetic principle that describes the ratio of phenotypes in a dihybrid cross. It states that when two genes are involved in a cross, with one gene having two alleles and the other gene having two alleles, the resulting offspring will have a phenotypic ratio of 9:3:4.

2. How does Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4 differ from other Mendelian laws?

Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4 is different from other Mendelian laws, such as the Law of Dominance and the Law of Segregation, because it involves two genes and their interactions rather than just one gene. This law also takes into account the presence of multiple alleles for each gene.

3. What does the 9:3:4 ratio represent in Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4?

The 9:3:4 ratio represents the expected ratio of phenotypes in a dihybrid cross according to Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4. This means that for every 9 offspring with the dominant phenotype for both genes, there will be 3 offspring with the dominant phenotype for one gene and recessive for the other, and 4 offspring with the recessive phenotype for both genes.

4. How does epistasis affect the expression of genes in Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4?

Epistasis refers to the interaction between two or more genes that influence the expression of a particular trait. In Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4, epistasis can lead to the suppression of certain phenotypes or the expression of unexpected phenotypes, resulting in a deviation from the 9:3:4 ratio.

5. What are some examples of traits that follow Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4?

Some examples of traits that follow Mendelian's Law of Epitasis 9:3:4 include coat color in mice and flower color in snapdragons. In mice, the presence of the B allele produces black fur, while the presence of the E allele produces the agouti pattern. In snapdragons, the presence of the R allele produces red flowers, while the presence of the W allele produces white flowers. The interaction between these alleles results in the observed 9:3:4 ratio of phenotypes in the offspring.