Mentors: Where are instructions for using forums?

• Thread starter Ut-Napishtim
  • Start date
In summary, the "Rules" tab at the top of the homepage has a prominent "Chess Game" heading, which is not present on the Board FAQ page. I suggest that the entire Board FAQ page be removed and pasted onto the intro page, as this would make it more accessible.
Ut-Napishtim
I am new to these forums and as always start with stupid questions :confused:.

Nevertheless. Where are instructions, e.g. - How to mark a thread icon so that it clearly shows that this thread was read; How to insert a quotation from a message into a reply created by the ADVANCED method etc.?:zzz:

Sorry, but I could NOT find these instructions. I realize that for most members they are self-evident.

Many thanks for attention and explanation

Physics news on Phys.org
Threads are marked read once opened.

The quote button is in the bottom right of each post along with multi quote.

Here is the FAQ.

https://www.physicsforums.com/faq.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, there's an actual FAQ. Didn't know that.

jarednjames said:
Lisab keeps it in her signature.

Evo said:
Lisab keeps it in her signature.

Yep, right down...

...a bit further...

...almost there...

...skip the Bruce Lee quote (oh you might as well read it, you're right there anyway)...

here it is

\/

I never noticed that.

jarednjames said:

Neither did I! :rolleyes:

Despite the fact that it "branches" directly from the homepage, there's no link to in on the homepage … so I'm sure most PF members have no idea of its existence. :frown:

I suggest that it should be accessible from the menu-bar, as a drop-down from "Rules", or maybe from "Quick Links".

btw, on the intro page, https://www.physicsforums.com/faq.php" , why is "Chess Game" so prominent? It's at the top, and it has a full list of headings, which the Board FAQ (the one most members will be interested in) doesn't

in fact, can't the whole of the board index-page, https://www.physicsforums.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq" , be removed and pasted onto the intro page (above Chess Game)? :smile:

(and finally, the FAQ page would be a good place to display copy-and-paste symbols :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mentors: Where are instructions for using forums?

1. What is the role of a mentor in a forum?

A mentor in a forum is a person who guides and supports other members in their learning and participation in the forum. They provide valuable insights, answer questions, and facilitate discussions.

2. How do I find a mentor in a forum?

Many forums have a designated section or thread where members can request a mentor. You can also reach out to active and experienced members directly and ask if they are willing to be your mentor.

3. What are the benefits of having a mentor in a forum?

A mentor can provide personalized guidance and advice based on their experience and knowledge. They can also help you navigate the forum and connect with other members, making your learning experience more efficient and effective.

4. How do I communicate with my mentor in a forum?

The communication methods may vary depending on the forum. Some forums have a messaging system or private chat feature, while others may use email or other external platforms. It's best to discuss with your mentor the preferred method of communication.

5. Can I have more than one mentor in a forum?

Yes, you can have multiple mentors in a forum. It's common for members to have different mentors for different topics or areas of interest. However, it's important to communicate and coordinate with your mentors to avoid conflicting advice or confusion.