Method to check the percentage purity of Magnesium chloridehexahydrate

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the speaker encountered difficulties with their experiment involving flashing a solution with hot HCl vapours. They then washed the solution with 30% HCl and recrystallized the sample, but are now unsure of how to proceed with the crystals. Suggestions are given to try different purification methods and acids, and to consult with others for advice. It is emphasized to keep detailed notes and records for future experiments.
Mridul Tripathi
Homework Statement
I have a sample of magnesium chloride hexahydrate having some impurities of tri methyl benzene and some other like methyl magnesium chloride and THF(tetra hydro furan).
the problem it that i don't know the exact percentage of magnesium chloride crystals in that sample.
i want to know the purity of MgCl2.6H2O in that.
suggest any methods so that i can calculate that.
Relevant Equations
there are no such equations
In first attempt i flashed the solution with the hot HCl vapours and then fractionation was done to remove the TMB(tri methyl benzene) + THF
the bottom was MgCl2 and some of the TMB +THF
then i washed the solution with 30% HCl + acidic water,since Magnesium chloride is highly soluble in water at low pH and then i recrystallized the sample but Now i am stuck with this Crystals .
and i don't know what to do further/
help me with this or suggest me any other method if possible

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It seems like you have encountered some difficulties with your experiment and are unsure of how to proceed. I would be happy to offer some suggestions.

Firstly, it is important to note that the use of hot HCl vapours for flashing the solution can sometimes lead to impurities in the final product. It may be helpful to try a different method for purification, such as vacuum distillation or column chromatography.

Additionally, the use of 30% HCl for washing the solution may also lead to the formation of impurities. It may be beneficial to try a different acid, such as sulfuric acid, for washing the solution.

If you are still having trouble with your crystals, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or another expert in the field for their advice. They may have encountered a similar issue and can offer some insight.

Lastly, it is important to always keep detailed notes and records of your experiments. This can help in troubleshooting any issues that may arise and can also aid in future experiments.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and wish you success in your research.

1. How is the percentage purity of Magnesium chloride hexahydrate determined?

The percentage purity of Magnesium chloride hexahydrate can be determined through a process called titration. This involves adding a known concentration of a reagent, typically silver nitrate, to a solution of Magnesium chloride hexahydrate until a reaction occurs and the solution changes color. The amount of reagent used can then be used to calculate the percentage purity of the Magnesium chloride hexahydrate.

2. What equipment is needed to perform the titration method for checking the percentage purity of Magnesium chloride hexahydrate?

The equipment needed for titration includes a burette, a pipette, a conical flask, a white tile, and a standard solution of silver nitrate. A burette stand and clamp may also be used to hold the burette in place. Additionally, gloves, safety goggles, and a lab coat should be worn when handling chemicals.

3. Are there any safety precautions to be aware of when performing the titration method for checking the percentage purity of Magnesium chloride hexahydrate?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety goggles, when handling chemicals. Additionally, the standard solution of silver nitrate is corrosive and should be handled with care. It is also important to properly dispose of all chemicals and solutions after use.

4. Can the titration method be used for other substances besides Magnesium chloride hexahydrate?

Yes, the titration method can be used to determine the percentage purity of other substances as well. However, the specific reagent used may differ depending on the substance being tested. It is important to research and follow the appropriate procedure for each substance.

5. Is the titration method the only way to check the percentage purity of Magnesium chloride hexahydrate?

No, there are other methods that can be used to check the percentage purity of Magnesium chloride hexahydrate, such as gravimetric analysis or spectroscopy. However, titration is a commonly used and reliable method for determining percentage purity and is often preferred due to its simplicity and accuracy.