Method to Measure CO2 concentration in room

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to measure carbon dioxide concentration in indoor and car cabin air for a project. The options include using gas sensors, chemical solutions, and creating airtight balloons. It is mentioned that carbon dioxide is a benchmark for measuring indoor air quality and that it can be differentiated from outdoor levels using sensors and a controller. Suggestions are made to contact an engineering company or university for assistance. The recommended indoor CO2 levels should not exceed 700 PPM more than outdoor levels and a monitor is suggested for purchase. Another suggestion is to use a pH indicator to measure carbon dioxide.
Astra
Hi all, i have been assigned to study indoor air quality and car cabin air quality project.

My Problem is:

How to measure Carbon Dioxide concentration in that constant volume of air? (consider there will be changes in the concentration and i need to quantify or contrast it at least.)

Yes i know there are multiple gas sensors out in the market, but those are quite beyond the allocation available for this project.

i have heard of but have not tried using chemical solution such as (liquid calcium carbonate) actually can measure the differences of the CO2 concentration?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Even $260 is beyond your budget? http://www.drillspot.com/products/66579/Extech_CO10_Carbon_Monoxide_Detector

unfortunately yes :( this is a high school project that I am working on, so we are not expected to exceed $200 total budget if possible.

Carbon DIOXIDE? You're talking about trying to measure the deviations from a relatively low (but already prevalent) component of our atmosphere (around 1 part volume per 2500 if I recall). Have you researched the implications of increased/reduced carbon dioxide on the "quality" of air? How do you define "quality" of air? Are you prepared to defend your project based on the properties of carbon dioxide?

I think you might be confusing the idea with carbon monoxide. As far as I know, deviations in carbon dioxide should not be that dangerous (or even uncomfortable depending on how small) to humans. If you've ever tried to breath in the vicinity of evaporating dry ice, you'll get a feel for what I mean. The vapor coming off of dry ice is the carbon dioxide, and the percentage by volume SKYROCKETS, leaving you starved for oxygen and retreating to a more ventilated area. Carbon *monoxide* however, bonds to your blood in significant enough levels and impedes your body's ability to carry oxygen, causing an induced "suffocation" of sorts that tires you out and puts you to sleep. Happened to one of my neighbors down the road not too long ago--furnace problems. Thankfully one of them realized it and everyone came out alright.

Regardless, the most effective way I can think of pulling what you're suggesting (without some sort of chemical reaction or fancy detector) off is by creating airtight balloons of the samples in question, and then using balances to determine differences in composition by relating back to the change of distribution of gasses. You would be taking measurements on an order of magnitude well beyond the common household scale, and would have to tackle a ton of variables like making sure the balloons were precisely the same, comparing the pressures of the balloons, etc..

Actually, along those lines you could potentially set up a device measuring rates of effusion through a medium based on the differences in molecular sizes, but even with an effusion based approach you would be looking at ridiculously difficult comparisons for a high school level of equipment.

Best of luck with your project. :)

Cvan, carbon dioxide is, in fact, used as a benchmark for indoor air quality measurements. AC systems that vary their ventilation rate do so based on indoor vs outdoor CO2 levels.

Ahh, thanks russ. I won't pretend that I've got any knowledge on the topic, it just seemed like a more likely candidate for air quality without any background on the subject.
Regardless--do you happen to know how they differentiate between the indoor and outdoor levels?

Cvan said:
Regardless--do you happen to know how they differentiate between the indoor and outdoor levels?
With indoor and outdoor sensors and a controller that subtracts one from the other.

I once did a study on a school that didn't have any ventilation (in violation of code) and the CO2 levels inside were 1500-3000 ppm inside vs 450-550 outside.

Astra, you might try playing the 'I'm a poor high school student' card with a local engineering company and they may be able to let you borrow a sensor or otherwise help you with your report. Google for "hvac engineer" and your location.

Or take a sample and bring it to a local University's chemistry department maybe they'll send it through a gas chromatograph for you . Make sure to name it: "Integrated research experience for high school students".

ASHRAE recommends indoor CO2 levels not to exceed 700 PPM greater than outdoor levels.

You can purchase a SenseLife air quality monitor for $180. it measures CO2, temperature and humidity.

CO2 range is 0-9,999 PPm +/- 50 PPM

www.CO2meter.com

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but you could try to run a bubbler through a vial with a pH indicator in it. The carbonic acid produced could give indication of the CO2 in the air. Might not be sensitive enough though. Just a suggestion.

What is CO2 concentration?

CO2 concentration refers to the amount of carbon dioxide present in a given space, typically measured in parts per million (ppm). In indoor environments, CO2 concentration is primarily influenced by human respiration and ventilation.

Why is it important to measure CO2 concentration in a room?

Measuring CO2 concentration in a room is important because high levels of CO2 can indicate poor ventilation, which can lead to a buildup of other harmful pollutants and decrease indoor air quality. It can also impact the health and productivity of individuals in the space.

What method is used to measure CO2 concentration in a room?

The most common method used to measure CO2 concentration in a room is a non-dispersive infrared (NDIR) sensor. This type of sensor detects the amount of infrared light absorbed by CO2 molecules in the air, providing an accurate measurement of CO2 levels in the room.

How often should CO2 concentration be measured in a room?

The frequency of measuring CO2 concentration in a room depends on the specific needs and regulations of the space. Generally, it is recommended to measure CO2 concentration at least once a day, but more frequent measurements may be necessary in high occupancy or poorly ventilated areas.

What is considered a safe level of CO2 concentration in a room?

The recommended safe level of CO2 concentration in a room is between 400-1000 ppm. Levels above 1000 ppm may indicate poor ventilation and can lead to discomfort and decreased productivity, while levels above 5000 ppm can be hazardous to human health.