Michelson and Energy Conservation

In summary, The Michelson interferometer and energy conservation are related through the spatial extension of the beams in the interferometer. This results in a central dark fringe at the output port, followed by a series of bright and dark fringes as a function of angle. However, when sending perfectly collimated light through, there may be no light at the output port due to the diffraction limit. In situations where Fraunhofer diffraction breaks down, the light may be reflected back to the source, allowing for interference filters or thin film coatings to work.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm wondering about the Michelson interferometer and energy conservation. It seems like if one arm has an optical path difference that results in a pi phase shift relative to the other arm, then there will be complete destructive interference at the output port. Talking to some people, I gather that the solution to the problem of energy conservation is that the beams in the interferometer are spatially extended, and hence what you get at the output port is actually a central dark fringe, followed by a series of bright and dark fringes as a function of angle away from the optical axis. In other words, this is supposed to be no different from the Young double slit.

My question is this: what happens if you send perfectly collimated (and monochromatic) light through? Shouldn't there be no light at the output port? If so, then energy conservation would lead me to expect that the light rays that go from the beam splitter and end up coming out back the way they came (i.e. through the input port) should interfere constructively in order to conserve energy. But I can't see how this is possible given the geometry. The two outgoing rays that meet back at the input port also have a pi phase shift relative to each other, just like the two rays that meet at the output port.

I should know the answer to this, but it's been a while for me since taking Optics.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not possible to have perfectly collimated light with a finite sized beam. You hit the diffraction limit. There's always a fringe.

At small distances, Fraunhofer diffraction breaks down, and you can have situations where the light is reflected back to the source. This is how interference filters or thin film coatings work.

Last edited:

Related to Michelson and Energy Conservation

1. What is the Michelson experiment?

The Michelson experiment, also known as the Michelson-Morley experiment, was a scientific experiment conducted in the late 1800s to test the theory of the luminiferous ether, which was believed to be the medium through which light waves traveled. The experiment aimed to measure the speed of the Earth's motion through this ether by measuring the speed of light in different directions.

2. How does the Michelson experiment relate to energy conservation?

The Michelson experiment is significant in the field of energy conservation because it disproved the existence of the luminiferous ether and provided evidence for the theory of relativity. This theory states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and thus, energy is conserved in all inertial frames of reference.

3. What were the results of the Michelson experiment?

The results of the Michelson experiment showed that the speed of light was the same in all directions, regardless of the Earth's motion through the ether. This contradicted the expected results if the ether existed, leading to the eventual acceptance of the theory of relativity.

4. Why is the Michelson experiment considered a landmark in physics?

The Michelson experiment is considered a landmark in physics because it challenged and ultimately overturned long-held beliefs about the nature of light and the existence of the ether. It also paved the way for the development of the theory of relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of energy and space-time.

5. How does the Michelson experiment continue to impact modern science?

The Michelson experiment continues to have a significant impact on modern science as it serves as a foundational experiment in the study of light and energy. It also highlights the importance of experimental evidence in scientific theories and serves as a reminder to continually question and test our understanding of the natural world.