Micrometer Linear Actuator with manual adjustment knob

In summary, the conversation was about finding an actuator to control the Z axis motion in an automated optical assembly process. The base unit consists of three-axis Thorlabs translation stages and manual micrometer handles, but the person wants to replace the manual adjustment with a linear actuator. They mention that Thorlabs, Zaber, and Edmunds sell actuators for this purpose, but they would prefer one with a handwheel pulse generator and selectable resolutions. They ask if anyone knows of a system that can be purchased off the shelf, either as a self-contained actuator or a combination actuator and controller unit. Links to the actuators and translation stages were provided, as well as a suggestion for hand wheels for CNC machines.
dc878787
I'm trying to put together an automated system for an optical assembly process. The base unit consists of a set of three-axis Thorlabs translation stages and manual micrometer handles for adjustment in X Y and Z.

I need to control the Z axis motion with a linear actuator instead of the manual adjustment of the micrometer handle. Thorlabs, Zaber, and Edmunds all sell actuators to do this. However, to move the actuator, you need to press/click a button on the controls to jog the actuator in a certain direction.

I would like an actuator that has a handwheel pulse generator to control the linear displacement of the actuator - preferably with select-able resolutions per count of the handwheel (i.e. one count = 1um, 10um, or 100um of linear displacement).

Does anyone know of such a system I could purchase off the shelf? It could be a self contained actuator with an adjustment knob on one end, or a combination actuator and controller unit.

These are the actuators: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1883
These are the translation stages: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=706

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are hand wheels for CNC machines. Not checked compatability with your requirement..

http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/electrical-products/handwheel-for-cnc-35.html

1. What is a Micrometer Linear Actuator?

A Micrometer Linear Actuator is a precision device that converts rotational motion into linear motion. It is commonly used in scientific and industrial applications for precise positioning and movement of objects.

2. How does a Micrometer Linear Actuator work?

A Micrometer Linear Actuator works by using a lead screw and nut mechanism. The rotary motion of the adjustment knob is translated into linear motion through the lead screw, allowing for precise movement and positioning.

3. What is the purpose of the manual adjustment knob?

The manual adjustment knob allows for fine-tuning and precise adjustments to the position of the actuator. It can be used to make small incremental movements, making it ideal for precise positioning in scientific experiments and industrial processes.

4. What are the benefits of using a Micrometer Linear Actuator with manual adjustment knob?

The benefits of using a Micrometer Linear Actuator with manual adjustment knob include its high precision, compact size, and ease of use. It can also be used in a wide range of applications, from laboratory equipment to industrial machinery.

5. Can a Micrometer Linear Actuator be automated?

Yes, a Micrometer Linear Actuator can be integrated with automation systems, such as motors and controllers, to allow for automated and programmable movements. This can increase efficiency and accuracy in scientific and industrial processes.

Back