Miller indices and periodic boundary conditions

Spathi
TL;DR Summary
PBCs mean that the atoms with e.g. fractional coordinates (0.0;0.0;0.0) and (1.0;0.0;0.0) are equivalent. PBCs in crystals are specified by three lattice vectors A, B, C...
I work in the field of quantum chemistry, in particular computations with periodic boundary conditions (PBC) needed for crystallographers. The crystallography data is usually presented as a set of fractional coordinates which are recounted to Cartesian ones. In the fractional coordinates, each cell of a crystal is a cube, e.g. the atoms in molecule belonging to the first cell have the coordinates from 0.0 to 1.0. Some real crystals have cubic cells too, e.g. NaCl:
miller1_NaCl.jpg

PBCs mean that the atoms with e.g. fractional coordinates (0.0;0.0;0.0) and (1.0;0.0;0.0) are equivalent. PBCs in crystals are specified by three lattice vectors A, B, C; e.g. for NaCl above these vectors are three orthogonal vectors with length 5.4533 Angs each (this also mean that the crystallography parameters are: a=5.4533, b=5.4533, c=5.4533, alpha=90, beta=90, gamma=90). At the same time, for each crystal, in fact there must be an unlimited numbers of possible lattice vectors. This can be illustrated by a 2-d example:
miller2_2d_31mill.jpg

Here the trivial PBC parameters are (1.0; 0.0) and (0.0;1.0), but also we can build the lattice vectors (3.0; -1.0) and (1.0; 3.0), which describe the same crystal.

I try to implement building the Miller indices in my program Chemcraft. Firstly the user specifies three integer numbers, e.g. 1 1 1, which mean that the new vector C will be (1.0; 1.0; 1.0) in fractional coordinates. My question is, how to build the A and B vectors if we know C. This is similar to the 2d task above, but evidently more difficult.

As far as I understand, the A and B vectors can be built in different ways; they must be orthogonal to C, maybe to each other too, but they still can be rotated along the C vector. And they must be still integers, if I understand correctly, and they must define the same crystal as it was. This can be illustrated by the 2d picture above – if the first lattice vector A=(3.0; -1.0), the second can be only B=(1.0; 3.0) to keep the same crystal.

So how can these integers A and B (3 digits for each) be obtained, if we know C?

The new values of A, B, C in terms of old (9 numbers) can be entered in the window “Redefine lattice” in Materials Studio program, I have implemented the same in Chemcraft. I suppose, to build the Miller index 1 1 1, we should specify these lattice redefinition parameters:

A: 0 1 -1

B: -1 1 0

C: 1 1 1
With these parameters, we transform this cell
miller3_nacl_mill111.jpg

Into this cell
miller4_nacl_mill111_result.jpg

Is this correct? And is it correct that the A and B vectors are not orthogonal to each other (though they are orthogonal to C)?

Likes MAXIM LI

What are Miller indices?

Miller indices are a notation system in crystallography used to describe the orientation of crystal planes in a crystalline material. They are denoted by three integers (h, k, l), derived from the inverses of the intercepts that a plane makes with the crystallographic axes. These indices provide a shorthand notation to identify planes and directions in the crystal lattice, which are crucial for analyzing crystal structure and properties.

How are Miller indices calculated?

To calculate Miller indices, first identify the points where the crystal plane intersects the crystallographic axes (x, y, z). Take the reciprocals of these intercepts. If a plane is parallel to an axis, the intercept is considered to be at infinity, and its reciprocal is zero. These reciprocals are then cleared of fractions by multiplying by the smallest common denominator, resulting in three integers (h, k, l) that are the Miller indices of the plane.

What are periodic boundary conditions?

Periodic boundary conditions are a set of constraints used in simulations of physical systems (like molecular dynamics or quantum mechanics calculations) where the edges of the simulation box are connected to form a continuous loop. This approach mimics an infinitely repeating lattice, which helps in studying bulk properties of materials without needing to simulate an impractically large number of atoms or molecules.

How do Miller indices relate to crystal symmetry?

Miller indices directly reflect the symmetry properties of a crystal. Since they represent the orientations of planes within the crystal lattice, different symmetry operations (like rotations and mirror reflections) that are characteristic of the crystal's space group can be easily visualized and understood through changes in these indices. For instance, equivalent planes in a cubic system will have Miller indices that are permutations of one another.

Why are periodic boundary conditions important in simulations?

Periodic boundary conditions are crucial in simulations because they allow a finite simulation system to emulate an infinite system, which is more representative of real-world materials. By avoiding edge effects where properties might differ significantly from those in the bulk material, these conditions ensure that the simulated properties are more accurate and reflective of extensive material behavior. This is particularly important in studies involving phase transitions, material strength, and other bulk properties.