Minima and Maxima of a multivariable function....

In summary: The main point is that finding a maximum or minimum is not always easy, and there are various ways to do it.
fog37
Hello Forum,

I think I am clear on how to find the maxima and minima of function of one or two independent variables like f(x) or f(x,y). What if the function had 5 independent variables, i.e. f(x,y,z,a,b)? What is the best method, even numerically? Should we find the partial derivatives of f w.r.t. to each variables and set them to zero? We would get a set of 5 equations. Then what?

Thanks in advance,
fog37

Physics news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
Hello Forum,

I think I am clear on how to find the maxima and minima of function of one or two independent variables like f(x) or f(x,y). What if the function had 5 independent variables, i.e. f(x,y,z,a,b)? What is the best method, even numerically? Should we find the partial derivatives of f w.r.t. to each variables and set them to zero? We would get a set of 5 equations. Then what?

Thanks in advance,
fog37
Yes, you set each of the partial derivatives equal to zero and solve for sets of ##(x,y,z,a,b)## that solve the set of 5 equations. These locations are the critical points; in order to determine whether each critical point is a maxima, minima or saddle point one would use the second derivative test. For this multivariable case the second derivative test requires you to compute the Hessian matrix (which just contains all of the second derivatives) and examine whether it is positive definite, negative definite, or neither. See the beginning and section 7 of the wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessian_matrix

jason

Set the partial derivatives equal to 0 then solve to find the critical points. Now calculate the Hessian of [itex] f [/itex]. If the Hessian, evaluated at a critical point, has all positive eigenvalues, then the critical point is a local minimum. If it has all negative eigenvalues, then the critical point is a local maximum. If it has eigenvalues of mixed signs, the critical point is a saddle point.

fog37 said:
Hello Forum,

You (and several others) always assume that the functions are differentiable. Even when they are, their absolute maxima may not necessarily be at the points where some differential is 0.
  1. If the function is not differentiable, finding the maximum is not trivial. If the function is bounded, there may be a maximum, but not necessarily at one or several points.
  2. If the function is differentiable in a region Ω, the maxima will be found either at places where the "Differential" is 0 or at the border of Ω. In complex analysis, the maxima for an analytic function lies on the border (otherwise the function reduces to a constant).

Likes jasonRF

What is a multivariable function?

A multivariable function is a mathematical function that takes in multiple independent variables and outputs a single dependent variable. This means that the output of the function is dependent on the values of more than one input variable.

What are the minima and maxima of a multivariable function?

The minima and maxima of a multivariable function are the points where the function reaches its lowest and highest values, respectively. These points can be found by taking partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and setting them equal to zero.

How do you determine if a point is a minima or maxima of a multivariable function?

A point is considered a minima or maxima of a multivariable function if it satisfies the necessary conditions, also known as the critical points. These conditions include setting the partial derivatives of the function equal to zero and checking the second derivative at that point. If the second derivative is positive, the point is a local minimum, and if it is negative, the point is a local maximum.

Can a multivariable function have multiple minima or maxima?

Yes, a multivariable function can have multiple minima and maxima. These are known as local minima and maxima. It is also possible for the function to have a global minima or maxima, where the value is the lowest or highest among all possible values for the function.

What is the significance of finding the minima and maxima of a multivariable function?

Finding the minima and maxima of a multivariable function is important in various fields of science and engineering. It can help in optimizing processes and systems, determining the stability of a system, and finding the optimal solution to a problem. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve various mathematical and real-world problems.