Will You Notice the Subtle Changes in Tomorrow's Layout Update?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the toolbar buttons which control font colors and sizes are gone, the LaTeX button in the editor box is redundant, and the whiteboard feature was rarely used. However, the 'New' tags which pop up on the right side of new posts make it easier to find where you left off in a thread, and the indent feature on the green toolbar is useful.
Tomorrow I'll be releasing a minor update to the layout. Lots of little areas have been tweaked and some colors have been altered. Functionality and layout elements remain unchanged. If you don't know what to look for you may not even notice much difference. Once the update is live feel free to leave feedback here. I'm sure I'll be tinkering plenty more as I see things I missed or need to fix. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this like putting a lipstick on a pig?

:)

Zz.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
ZapperZ said:
Is this like putting a lipstick on a pig?
Yup, not even opening up the lipstick, just putting the lipstick on top of a pig :biggrin:

@Greg Bernhardt

So I get the 2015 humour award and now I have nowhere to continue the fun :frown::frown:

and nowhere for the general photosharing, it's gone too :frown:

Dave

Will that require server down time?

StevieTNZ said:
Will that require server down time?
Nope, it will be instantaneous

When writing a new post, the green toolbar at the top of the editor box seems to be missing the button which left, center, or right justifies text. What is there now are two buttons, on which makes a bullet list and the other which makes a numbered list.

Can we get the justification button back?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
The LaTeX button in the editor box, and the Whiteboard are missing too.

Also, the buttons which control the font colors and sizes are gone.

Samy_A said:
The LaTeX button in the editor box, and the Whiteboard are missing too.

From what I could gather, the whiteboard feature was rarely used. Did you use it? In the end the LaTeX preview button was redundant as preview accomplishes the same thing.

SteamKing said:
Can we get the justification button back?. buttons which control the font colors and sizes are gone.

Could you link me to some of your posts where you use these bbcodes effectively? It's been my feeling for awhile that these are rarely used effectively and only crowd the toolbar.

Greg Bernhardt said:
From what I could gather, the whiteboard feature was rarely used. Did you use it? In the end the LaTeX preview button was redundant as preview accomplishes the same thing.
Ok, no big deal indeed.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Could you link me to some of your posts where you use these bbcodes effectively? It's been my feeling for awhile that these are rarely used effectively and only crowd the toolbar.

Greg,
Here is one of my recent posts:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/hookes-law-and-plastic-materials.851527/#post-5340737

I prefer to center images on the page; I think it looks better that way, rather than everything jammed over to the left.

Also, since the font color and size buttons are gone, you can't do anything with the text.

It's not like the toolbar was crowded before with buttons. As it looks now, the toolbar appears to be only half-populated.

The codes are not gone, you can still type them in.
300px-Stress_v_strain_A36_2.svg.png

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Yeah, but how? Is there a link or some documentation? Or is it using Latex?

The forums look more colorful now. Awesome work! :woot:

Blue and orange? Are you now a Bears fan? Or Illini?

Vanadium 50 said:
Blue and orange? Are you now a Bears fan? Or Illini?
Oh no you didn't! I'm a die hard packer fan! (reaching for ban hammer! :biggrin:)

Likes davenn
I dunno...the blue and orange...maybe it's subconscious...

I was hoping that a listing of the direct links to the various FAQs and articles would be done in this latest cosmetic changes. But I guess I have to wait a bit longer.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I was hoping that a listing of the direct links to the various FAQs and articles would be done in this latest cosmetic changes. But I guess I have to wait a bit longer.

Zz.
End of next week

Greg, I love the 'New' tags that pop up on the right side of new posts. Makes it MUCH easier to quickly find where you left off in a thread.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
... In the end the LaTeX preview button was redundant as preview accomplishes the same thing.

The LaTeX sandbox did have more functionality than merely doing previews.

It gave a list of recently used LaTeX codes. I found that to be very handy.I also found it useful to have the indent feature on the green (now blue) toolbar.

Post statistics? Whimper, whimper, whine?

Bystander said:
Post statistics? Whimper, whimper, whine?
Just vanity :)

1. What are minor cosmetic changes to layout?

Minor cosmetic changes to layout refer to small alterations or adjustments made to the visual appearance or design of a webpage, document, or other media. These changes do not affect the overall structure or functionality of the layout, but rather improve its aesthetic appeal.

2. Why are minor cosmetic changes necessary?

Minor cosmetic changes are necessary to keep the layout looking fresh and visually appealing. Over time, design trends and preferences may change, and making small adjustments can help keep a layout up-to-date and visually appealing.

3. What types of changes are considered minor cosmetic changes?

Examples of minor cosmetic changes include adjusting font sizes, changing color schemes, rearranging elements on a page, and adding or removing small design elements such as borders or icons. These changes are often subtle and do not significantly alter the overall layout or structure.

4. How long does it take to make minor cosmetic changes to a layout?

The time it takes to make minor cosmetic changes to a layout can vary depending on the complexity of the changes and the size of the layout. However, since these changes are generally small and do not affect the functionality of the layout, they can typically be completed within a few hours or less.

5. Will minor cosmetic changes affect the functionality of the layout?

No, minor cosmetic changes should not affect the functionality of the layout. These changes are primarily focused on the visual appearance and do not involve altering the underlying code or structure of the layout.