Minutes, Degrees, Seconds to Radians

In summary, to express 12 degrees, 28 minutes, 4 seconds in radians, you can use the conversion factor of pi/180 and follow the method of converting to degrees and then to radians. This will result in the value of 11221pi/162000. Another way to solve this problem is to convert strictly to degrees, and then to radians.
mathdad
Express the following angle in radians.

12 degrees, 28 minutes, 4 seconds that is, 12° 28' 4".

I cannot apply pi/180° to this problem.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the same method I posted in your other thread, and use the fact that there are 3600 seconds in a degree. :D

Why can't you "apply pi/180" here?

You know that there are 60 seconds in a degree don't you? So 4''= 4/60= 0.06667 minutes approximately and 28' 4'' is 28.06667 minutes. And you know, I hope, that there are 60 minutes in a degree so that 28.06667 minutes is 28.06667/60= 0.4678 degrees. 12 degrees, 28 minutes, 4 seconds is 12.4678 degrees. Multiply that by pi/180.

MarkFL said:
Use the same method I posted in your other thread, and use the fact that there are 3600 seconds in a degree. :D

Is there another way to solve this problem?

RTCNTC said:
Is there another way to solve this problem?

What you want to do is convert strictly to degrees, and then to radians.

\(\displaystyle 12^{\circ}28'4''=\left(12+\frac{28}{60}+\frac{4}{3600}\right)^{\circ}\cdot\frac{\pi}{180^{\circ}}=\frac{11221\pi}{162000}\)

It's all coming back to me now.

What is the formula for converting minutes, degrees, and seconds to radians?

The formula for converting minutes, degrees, and seconds to radians is:
radians = (degrees + (minutes/60) + (seconds/3600)) * (pi/180)

Why is it important to be able to convert between minutes, degrees, seconds, and radians?

It is important to be able to convert between minutes, degrees, seconds, and radians because different fields of science and mathematics use different units of measurement, and being able to convert between them allows for easier communication and comparison of data.

What is the relationship between degrees and radians?

Degrees and radians are two units of measurement for angles. One full circle is equivalent to 360 degrees or 2π radians. This means that 180 degrees is equal to π radians, and 90 degrees is equal to π/2 radians.

How do you convert from degrees, minutes, and seconds to decimal degrees?

To convert from degrees, minutes, and seconds to decimal degrees, you can use the formula:
decimal degrees = degrees + (minutes/60) + (seconds/3600)

What is the significance of using radians in trigonometry?

Radians are the preferred unit of measurement in trigonometry because they simplify many of the calculations and formulas used in the subject. They also have a more direct relationship with the unit circle, making it easier to visualize and understand the concepts of trigonometry.